19959Re: Why do we still need Omniture?

  • Andrew Edwards
    Nov 3, 2008
      Obviously a great question judging by the number of responses.

      Putting the question to use involves asking it a little differently.
      For instance, "What are my requirements and which products can help me
      meet them?"

      Some key things to consider:

      -is cost not just a factor, but the biggest or only factor?
      -is robust vendor support required?
      -how much customization do I need?
      -how much data do I need to pull from analytics for integration with
      other systems?
      -would I rather run analytics software internally?
      -how much is invested in the current solution?
      -is there a potential benefit in running parallel reporting environments?

      Google regularly releases improved versions of its products. The rest
      of the field will be spurred to do the same. Presumably the customer
      will benefit--having made the right choice for their organization.

      --Andrew Edwards
      Technology Leaders

      ---- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "alexbrasil489" <alexbrasil@...>
      wrote:

      > As far as I see it, this debate usually gets derailed by zealots on
      > one side or the other making an absolute statement that is almost
      > assuredly garbage. The one that rankles me the most is
      >
      > "GA is for toying around. Get other tools when you want to get
      "serious""

      > I personally find that statement rather offensive, even though in my
      > current position I don't use GA, it is a solid tool that is improving
      > by leaps and bounds, and, for a ton of companies, is a great way to
      > start optimizing their websites right now.
      >
      > Having said that, for large corporations with very complex needs and
      > resources to spare, it is NOT at Omniture's level. If you've even
      > been briefly exposed to Discover, Data Warehouse, or even HBX report
      > builder (I'll lump that in with Omniture for now), etc, you will
      > easily be persuaded that the tools, at a very high level, have
      > features that GA lacks, or, features that GA has but that are more
      > refined.
      >
      > Michael Feiner's post in this thread is so bang on that it should be
      > re-read multiple times. Right tool for the right job should be the
      > real impetus here, not veiled.. dare I say, member measuring contests
      > between tools (no pun intended). To argue his point forward, where I
      > work we have 4 dedicated web analysts (more than most that I know of),
      > and we're so overwhelmed with everything involved in a migration,
      > proper implementation and the like that, I hate to say it, our current
      > usage of our WA tool is way less than ideal. A number of those issues
      > are being worked out, and I suspect that as we fix a few
      > organizational matters that the analytics portion of the business will
      > only improve, but it makes one point rather clear.
      >
      > This is a big company, with a dedicated web analytics team, an
      > expensive tool and, I'd like to think, some pretty bright people all
      > focused on analyzing the data that the many sites produce (in addition
      > to our survey tools and other items of data collection). A small
      > company could not afford this type of expenditure-- and if the 4 of us
      > can barely handle what we have right now, imagine how some lone
      > analyst would feel? What would happen if said analyst had Omniture?
      > He or she would waste the money on any sizable project, or they're a
      > fricken super hero.
      >
      > The needs of the company and the resources available will dictate
      > whether someone needs Omniture or not-- right now, the two tools play
      > in different spaces though they can drive one or another to be better.
      > It's not even an issue of low end or high end, it's one of need and
      > fit.
      >

      > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry" <dergal@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "londonturu" <londonturu@>
      > > wrote:

      > > > -------Brian Clifton's answer------------
      > > > Loren - your points are inaccurate and do not reflect the reality

      > > > The latest info on customisation is here:
> [...]
    • Show all 34 messages in this topic