19928Re: [webanalytics] Re: Why do we still need Omniture?

  • Ross
    Oct 31, 2008
      I couldnt resist! At some point in your career you will come to know that analytics inevitably becomes custom software development. Yes. I am with matt on this one, I used indextools 4 years ago and did some pretty interesting data integration pieces. I am very much interested in seeing what yahoo will do with it. If i was to take a serious look at ga for anything beyond a stopgap or a secondary solution, I'd have to see capabilities around that.

      Mind you, many of my clients use ga and we happily support it, but as an industry analyst driving profits/solutions for my clients and my business? Ga as the product it is today, would not be enough.

      That being said, by all means, use the right tool for the right job.
      Introduce them to analytics by any means necessary. Better to be data wise than data poor.

      Ross j

      Madison metrics

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Oct 31, 2008, at 2:02 PM, "Stephane Hamel" <shamel67@...> wrote:

      Ho boy, ho boy!
      this is going to be a very interesting thread!

      Real time... ok, nice, but very few companies actually need it!

      Couple of things, top of my head, but certainly not complete:
      - custom metrics: way better than the single user variable offered by
      GA (and you can apply some rules on them, like duration, data type, etc.)
      - calculated metrics: build new composite metrics
      - export AND import API (GA API only allow you to download, not upload
      your data)
      - advanced dashboarding: create multiple dashboards, with advanced
      widgets, share them, etc.
      - collaboration features: annotations, forums, share bookmarks, share
      calculated metrics, dashboards, etc.
      - integration with dozens of partners through Genesis, including
      emails services, surveys, behavioral targeting, MVT, call centers
      data, name it...
      - Excel plugin (get real... who doesn't use Excel?)
      - suite integration with Survey, Test & Target, internal Search, etc.
      - Discover is a very powerful BI & visualization tool
      - very powerful campaign management tool called SearchCenter
      - Datawarehouse feature (raw data queries, also import your own data)
      - ASI filters (apply logic before data is being processed)
      - more powerful conversion funnels/pathing rules
      - outstanding documentation, training material, knowledge base
      - ok, some people complain about support, but it is generally very
      good (and for that matter, with GA you have to rely on independent
      consulting agencies... you could do the same for Omniture if you like!)

      As much as I love Google Analytics, and with all due respect for
      Avinash and the whole team at Google, I think GA is a good tool, but
      those who can't understand the huge gap between it and a high end
      solution such as SiteCatalyst are missing a big piece of the puzzle.
      It's amazing the number of "pros" of web analytics who have emerged in
      the last 6 to 12 months because they suddenly discovered web analytics
      and have installed GA on their own site. And almost reminds me of the
      early days of the web, when anyone who could say what HTML stands for
      was a genius...

      However, I must admit it was already difficult to convince managers
      that "free" shouldn't be the 1st criteria when choosing a solution. I
      guess it will be even harder now!

      I have no commercial interests either in Google Analytics or Omniture
      SiteCatalyst, nor Coremetrics, Webtrends, Yahoo! Analytics, AT
      Internet Xiti, and about 100 other tools... When consulting, I speak
      fluent "web analytics" regardless of the tool, and heck! I have even
      implemented and used most of them! :)

      As a web analytics professional interested in education, market
      research and R&D with WASP, I take great care of being independent and
      unbiased.

      I look forward to others comments!

      St├ęphane Hamel
      http://immeria.net

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Holstein" <paul@...> wrote:

      > OK, this question was bound to come up. Given Eric Peterson's recent
      > post at Webanalyticsdemystified.com, it seams to me that Omniture had
      > better get ready to answer this question with conviction.
      >
      > I'll get things started by saying that Omniture provides near real time
      > metrics. GA doesn't.
      >
      > So what do you think? Let's hear it.

      font-family: Arial; font-weight: bold; color: #628c2a; font-size: 100%; line-height: 122%; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{ text-decoration: none; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{ text-decoration: underline; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{ margin: 0; } o{font-size: 0; } .MsoNormal{ margin: 0 0 0 0; } #ygrp-text tt{ font-size: 120%; } blockquote{margin: 0 0 0 4px;} .replbq{margin:4} --> ml>