19118Re: Google Analytics conversion discrepancies

  • Hugh
    Sep 2, 2008
      Hi Feras,

      Tried all that already, UPVs match goals so I would expect that to be
      the most accurate result. Also, especially given that analytics tools
      often under report actual sales when compared with in house data.

      I'm beginning to think it's either an issue with the way in which
      e-commerce tracking was set up or something at Google's end. Not sure
      I can do much about the latter.

      Hugh

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Feras Alhlou" <feras@...> wrote:

      > Hi Hugh,
      >
      > Yes, I would think it would be the other way around. Could it be
      that the
      > goal page (e.g. the "check out completion or thank you" page) is
      referenced
      > elsewhere? Or maybe the goal match type is allowing other pages to be
      > counted as goals? You might want to verify that in the Top Content
      Report,
      > and use the URI in the report filter (and any regular expression
      settings
      > that you might have) and then examine the results, the number of unique
      > pageviews you see should match the the number of conversions, if you see
      > pages other than your goal page, that might be the cause of this issue.
      >
      > thanks,
      > feras
      >
      > On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 12:46 AM, Hugh <hugh.gage@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hi Feras
      > >
      > > Thanks for your response. What I should have included in my original
      > > post is that the total volume of transactions in the Goal is higher
      > > then that shown in the e-commerce tracking. I think it should at least
      > > be the other way around.
      > >
      > > Hugh
      > >

      > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > > "Feras Alhlou" <feras@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Hugh,
      > > >
      > > > It working as designed :). In Google Analytics' goal tracking
      reports, a
      > > > visitor can convert only once, i.e. let say your goal is a
      > > successful form
      > > > submission or ecommerce/sales transaction, and a visitor submitted
      > > the form
      > > > twice or made two transactions (i.e. converted twice), the goal
      tracking
      > > > would count it as one conversion while ecommerce would count it
      as two
      > > > transactions. The logic is that you really can only "convert" a
      > > visitor into
      > > > a lead/customer once.
      > > >
      > > > To get more details about this topic, check out the blog post by
      Brian