18209Re: Google crawls FLASH

  • nethab1
    Jul 4, 2008
      What I don't get is, even if Google indexes remotely loaded XML/SWF
      content separately OR as part of the original flash, there's really no
      way to "deep link" into a specific frame/"page", much less so if that
      XML/SWF is indexed separately.

      So what has anyone really gained? Visitors clicking a SERP and NOT
      finding what Google said was "on the tin"? More bad user experience if
      you ask me...

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "michaelnotte" <michaelnotte@...>
      wrote:

      > Thanks for your feedback.
      >
      > What we do is that all important / main content from Flash is
      > automatically added in the HTML page but not visible if Flash player
      > is available (NO FLASH Script part). So Search engines still see the
      > content and refer to the page using <TITLE>, <DESCRIPTION> tags.
      >
      > So we didn't wait for SE to index flash content...
      >
      > Concerning the usage of Flash, we avoid building FULL flash sites
      > like http://www.honda.co.uk/car/ and agree that you can do a lot of
      > things with HTML / CSS but we use a lot of Flash content integrated
      > in our sites. So Flash is more considered as an asset of our sites
      > (like images, videos, text, pdf's,...).
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Michaël
      >
      > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Birger Friedrichs <bf@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Michaël,
      > >
      > > michaelnotte wrote:
      > > > In our case, for example a Flash microsite is often translated in
      > > > several languages. It is ONE Flash site but fed with text coming
      > from
      > > > XML files containing local translations. So won't get indexed.
      > > >
      > > > Or am I wrong?
      > >
      > > yes, using XML to generate multilingual flash presentations is a
      > common
      > > way.
      > > As stated by Google the content will be indexed *but* separately
      > and not
      > > as part of the flash file.
      > >
      > > Indexing is one question, the other one is: How well will the flash
      > > stuff rank on the SERPs? I don't think that it will beat the plain
      > HTML
      > > pages with all the different HTML tags (b, strong, hx, anchor
      > text...).
      > > Another problem with flash or not with flash itself but how it is
      > often
      > > implemented:
      > >
      > > The site contains only *one* page with one flash object embedded.
      > So
      > > while showing a lot of information on that page through the flash
      > Google
      > > will only see one page. It might be better to break down the
      > content
      > > into different topics and create several HTML pages with proper
      > HTML
      > > titles for each topic. Then Google can index the different pages
      > with
      > > the flash content separately. But I doubt that it will rank better
      > than
      > > plain HTML pages. Of course it also depends on the inbound links.
      > If you
      > > fire Thousands of relevant links to a flash page it can have a
      > better
      > > ranking than a HTML version with less inbound links.
      > >
      > > I would currently not "hide" important content in flash. My 2 cents.
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > Birger

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic