18194Re: Google crawls FLASH

  • michaelnotte
    Jul 3, 2008
      Thanks for your feedback.

      What we do is that all important / main content from Flash is
      automatically added in the HTML page but not visible if Flash player
      is available (NO FLASH Script part). So Search engines still see the
      content and refer to the page using <TITLE>, <DESCRIPTION> tags.

      So we didn't wait for SE to index flash content...

      Concerning the usage of Flash, we avoid building FULL flash sites
      like http://www.honda.co.uk/car/ and agree that you can do a lot of
      things with HTML / CSS but we use a lot of Flash content integrated
      in our sites. So Flash is more considered as an asset of our sites
      (like images, videos, text, pdf's,...).

      Cheers

      Michaël

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Birger Friedrichs <bf@...> wrote:

      > Hi Michaël,
      >
      > michaelnotte wrote:
      > > In our case, for example a Flash microsite is often translated in
      > > several languages. It is ONE Flash site but fed with text coming
      from
      > > XML files containing local translations. So won't get indexed.
      > >
      > > Or am I wrong?
      >
      > yes, using XML to generate multilingual flash presentations is a
      common
      > way.
      > As stated by Google the content will be indexed *but* separately
      and not
      > as part of the flash file.
      >
      > Indexing is one question, the other one is: How well will the flash
      > stuff rank on the SERPs? I don't think that it will beat the plain
      HTML
      > pages with all the different HTML tags (b, strong, hx, anchor
      text...).
      > Another problem with flash or not with flash itself but how it is
      often
      > implemented:
      >
      > The site contains only *one* page with one flash object embedded.
      So
      > while showing a lot of information on that page through the flash
      Google
      > will only see one page. It might be better to break down the
      content
      > into different topics and create several HTML pages with proper
      HTML
      > titles for each topic. Then Google can index the different pages
      with
      > the flash content separately. But I doubt that it will rank better
      than
      > plain HTML pages. Of course it also depends on the inbound links.
      If you
      > fire Thousands of relevant links to a flash page it can have a
      better
      > ranking than a HTML version with less inbound links.
      >
      > I would currently not "hide" important content in flash. My 2 cents.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Birger

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic