16266Re: Webtrends SDC: Monitoring

  • mkgolden1
    Mar 31, 2008
      Use the same monitoring tools you use for the web sites, only have it
      call against the one-pixel gif. Be sure the call is formatted
      properly or you will end up with a big dcs.audit file. You can use a
      bogus dcsid for it and trash the logs; you just really want to know if
      the server is up, right?

      Definitely use at least 2 servers with a load balancer if only to
      accommodate a maintenance window for the SDC server(s).

      I am curious: are you using separate dcsid's for each site, or are you
      going to roll them up into one site, or are you using the wt.sp, or
      what? And why did you choose what you chose?

      --Mike Golden

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "vabeachkevin" <kevin.rogers@...>
      wrote:

      > The SDC logs keep writing to the same file, so if there show a log
      > file at 1am then it will still be there at noon, but hopefully
      > bigger. So that really doesnt help if it doesnt collect data for a
      > couple hour chunk. The one file is still there. You should have some
      > general server monitoring solutions to make sure your SDC servers are
      > online.
      > The on page code should work no problems with no maintence (unless
      > someone tries to change something in it).
      >

      > Kevin
      >

      > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "samratdsouza"
      > <samratdsouza@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi
      > >
      > > I have been working with webtrends for around 2.5+ years now,
      > however
      > > a novice with SDC.
      > >
      > > We are about to go live with SDC for one of our clients.
      > > However, we are intimidated about the part of SDC being up and
      > > running 24/7. We need to have a good monitoring in place before we
      > > shift to SDC.
      > >
      > > Reason of concern: more than 200 website owners all excited to
      > shift
      > > to SDC, Could come in a phase or all together :).
      > >
      > > In short, I've read the monitoring document.
      > >
      > > Thought of some scenarios like:
      > >
      > > Log Existence (we have multiple sites running, more than 200):
      > > We ping the sdc machine with a website dCSID and then check whether
      > > the log is there or not. we set it rotate every hour and set this
      > > sytem in a loop.
      > >
      > > Fall Over:
      > > If SDC stops responding to 1x1 file ping, it shifts to the auxilary
      > > server.
      > >
      > > Code within the site:
      > > How do we keep a check if this is working, over the time?
      > > could be merged with frist scenario, how?
      > > are there any apps which fire a java event?
      > >
      > > Any other monitoring tactics in place?
      > > Would be great to have some more monitoring tactics in place.
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > > Samrat D'souza
      > > (Samy)

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic