1599Re: Gender differences in visitor behavior?

  • Debora Geary
    Mar 2, 2005
      Thanks very much, Mike. Very interesting read. First, let me
      reveal my own biases and self interest – in one of my several
      hats,
      I run a small market research company that helps businesses market
      to moms. I got pulled into analytics because several of my clients
      wanted our help with their ecommerce sites, and I HATE doing
      anything without good data. We combine user feedback and analytics
      to figure out how to optimize their site experience for moms. So I
      have a "vested interest" in the question of do women (and
      moms, more
      specifically), browse sites differently, particularly when they are
      looking to purchase? I've seen some segments pop up on my client
      sites that I would just swear are men – they behave
      "strangely"!

      I liked the OPA stuff about time of day. I also wonder whether
      purpose for being online varies by time of day. For example, based
      on personal and anecdotal evidence, I would expect that working moms
      hitting a site in the morning are intent on buying and/or comparison
      shopping (morning is when we still have the energy to knock things
      off our to-do list) – women arriving in the afternoon are more in
      window shopping mode (have run out of energy at work and are looking
      for a distraction – may still purchase, but it would be more of
      an
      impulse decision). I like your idea about rotating content, Mike
      –
      there's some interesting A/B tests just waiting to be done! Also
      makes me want to take another look at the "time of day" variable for
      some of the more valuable segments on my client sites...

      Thanks again, great food for thought.

      Debora

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Crowdes, Michael"
      <michael.crowdes@r...> wrote:
      > Thanks Eric, I've posted the study in the files section. Debora,
      since
      > women are key decision makers for our product they are our prime
      demo.
      > I'd love to hear what you come up with.
      >
      > Mike - Dirt Devil

      of "content
      > scanning"
      > > behavior on our site at this time, which is when we "know"
      > that women
      > > are primarily engaged in a certain type of media
      consumption
      > etc.
      > >
      > > It might lead you in some interesting directions about
      when to
      > do things
      > > like launch campaigns, rotate content etc.
      > >
      > > Michael Crowdes
      > > Manager, Interactive Marketing & eCommerce
      > > Royal Appliance Mfg. Co.
      > > 7005 Cochran Road
      > > Glenwillow, Ohio 44139
      > > 440-996-2192

      Evolution
      > > Analytics, has
      > > research available (see description below) on gender
      > experience
      > > on the web.
      > > The CRO, Joseph Carrabis, whom you may recognize from
      > the 90's
      > > (if you are
      > > of a certain age, I guess) as one of the leading
      authors
      > of
      > > computer
      > > programming texts, has done unbelievable work in this
      > area.
      > >
      > > Go to
      > http://www.nextstagevolution.com/researchpapers.cfm
      > >
      > > "What We're Learning About Visitors From Websites"
      > >
      > > Overview: This paper is based on a similarly titled
      > presentation
      > > which has
      > > been given in several locations in the US and Canada
      in
      > 2003 and
      > > early 2004,
      > > and is based on research on visitors and their needs
      on
      > > websites. The
      > > specific research on which this paper is based began
      in
      > 1998, is
      > > ongoing,
      > > and includes studies of eCommerce, eLearning,
      > Infotainment and
      > > Personal
      > > websites targeting a variety of demographics (male,
      > female, ages
      > > from
      > > 15-85yo, various vocational, educational and income
      > > backgrounds). The
      > > research itself was performed using both NextStage
      > Evolution's
      > > (NSE)
      > > proprietary Evolution Technology (ET) and through
      > visitor
      > > interviews and
      > > correspondence with website owners, visitors and
      > designers.
      > > Research on the
      > > principles involved in ET began in 1987 and is
      ongoing.
      > > Development of ET
      > > itself began in 1991 and is ongoing.
      > >
      > > Evolution Technology is based on studies and
      research in
      > some
      > > 120
      > > disciplines in four major fields; Anthropology,
      > Linguistics,
      > > Mathematics and
      > > NeuroScience. Starting in 1991, eight basic tests
      have
      > been
      > > performed and
      > > repeated at regular intervals in order to insure ET's
      > being
      > > calibrated for
      > > the current web-browsing population. These eight
      tests
      > > include...
      > >

      > > Matt Van Wagner
      > >
      > > <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
      > > Matt Van Wagner matt@f...
      > > President
      > 603-557-7504
      > > Find Me Faster Fax
      > 925-666-1434
      > > 80 Stillwater Drive
      > > Nashua, NH 03062
      > > <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129iarnpj/M=298184.6018725.7038619.30011
      76/

      D=groups/S=1705005582:HM/EXP=1109795022/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*
      htt
      > > p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075>
      > >

      > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
      M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=group
      > > s/S=:HM/A=2593423/rand=908289718>
      > >

      > > _____
      > >
      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      to:

      subject=Unsubscribe>

      http://www.dirtdevil.com/news
      > for
      > more information on our latest products, including the new
      > Dynamite
      > QuickVac.
      > >
      > > The information transmitted is intended only for the
      person or
      > entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential
      > and/or
      > privileged material. Any review, retransmission,
      dissemination
      > or
      > other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this
      > information by persons or entities other than the intended
      > recipient
      > is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact
      the
      > sender and delete the material from any computer.
      >

      > ---------------------------------------
      > Web Metrics Discussion Group
      > Moderated by Eric T. Peterson
      > Author, Web Analytics Demystified
      > http://www.webanalyticsdemystified.com
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > click here

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1296uigno/M=298184.6018725.7038619.30011
      76/

      D=groups/S=1705005582:HM/EXP=1109865016/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*
      htt
      > p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075>
      >
      > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
      M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=group
      > s/S=:HM/A=2593423/rand=451108585>
      >

      > _____
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      subject=Unsubscribe>