143Re: Any Info on Pilot Software?

  • quibble12345
    Jul 29, 2004
      Jeff,

      We're in the process of trying to decide about upgrading to version 7,
      which really looks great. Apparently nobody told your account
      management staff that the Professional version 7 software is metered
      when I talked to them a couple of weeks ago. Also where does it
      mention usage tiers on your pricing page
      (http://www.netiq.com/webtrends/products/webtrends/pricing.asp)? What
      are the limits involved?

      In terms of fairness: With software that customers put on their
      hardware, store on their hard drives, and use with their data
      connections, I'm not sure metering is justified. The great thing
      about installing software as opposed to buying a service is that you
      can use it at your whim.

      With pageviews, you're limiting your customers with popular web sites
      (look at www.jibjab.com), rather than pricing by site scale. Really
      that's equivalent to Microsoft charging for Excel by the spreadsheet
      instead of by the seat.

      I would think that domain or really the server is more fair for
      software. Larger sites simply need larger hardware installations in
      general. There is variablility in servers and domains, but just like
      web analytics, it's never going to be perfect.

      Andrew Blank

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Seacrist