139RE: [webanalytics] Re: Any Info on Pilot Software?

  • Jeff Seacrist
    Jul 28, 2004
      WebTrends recently introduced page view-based pricing for its software, and
      it is actually is the model for all WebTrends software editions, not just
      Enterprise. Unlike ASP-based page view pricing, however, the page view
      entitlement for WebTrends software is automatically reset annually, with no
      requirement to renew the page views from year to year. Quite simply, it's a
      way to fairly scale the initial price of the software based on size of the
      site / organization. Virtually all web analytics solutions have some
      method of scaling -- be it by domain, by web server, or by page view. But
      unlike the variability in the size of a domain or the vast differences in
      the scalability of one type of web server vs. another, a page view is pretty
      consistent.

      It's one reason why the hosted solutions all use it, and why you're
      beginning to see software solutions such as WebTrends and Pilot move to a
      similar model.

      But it certainly raises an interesting question -- What does this group
      believe is the most "fair" way to scale the pricing of analytics solutions?

      Jeff Seacrist
      Director of WebTrends Product Marketing