13786I'm sorry Eric Peterson

  • Rachel
    Nov 1, 2007
      Oh wow, I come back from 3 hours of meetings and I see an email from
      Eric saying I called him a liar and a bunch of new posts on this
      subject. This is exactly why email communication can be so difficult
      and frustrating.

      I in *no way* meant that I thought he was a liar. It was sarcasm. But
      how would he, or anyone on this list, have known that? I am truly
      sorry for the miscommunication. I love the book and have found it to
      be the only book on web metrics that I have not only managed to get
      through (numbers scare me, can you tell?), but have really enjoyed.

      I'll scurry away in my confusion over page tags and hope for the best.

      Be well,
      Rachel

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Holstein" <paul@...> wrote:

      > I wouldn't say he lied. I read a couple of his books and I know Eric
      > personally. I've never gotten the impression that he's said anything
      > other than what I've written.
      >
      > I'm sure he'll clarify this shortly.
      >
      > --Paul
      >

      > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Rachel" <remtheory@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Really? So Eric Peterson lied? Or did I misread? :(
      > >
      > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Holstein" <paul@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Unfortunately, neither log files nor page tags gather
      > geographical
      > > > information. Both gather the IP address only. There is only one
      > IP
      > > > address sent to the web server and the client's Proxy servers
      > will
      > > > show the same one, no matter where the connection originated.
      > > >
      > > > To get geographical information, either solution must reference a
      > > > lookup table that tries to match up IP addresses with locations.
      > > > This is an imprecise science that is not 100% accurate.
      > > >
      > > > A page tagging solution may make it easier to gather geographic
      > > > information, but there is no reason to believe it would be more
      > > > accurate.
      > > >
      > > > --Paul

      > > > struggling
      > For