13779Re: page tags vs web server logs diagram

  • Paul Holstein
    Nov 1, 2007
      Great question.

      If you are using Akamai or any other CDN, you are best off with a
      page tagging solution. This depends almost entirely, however, on
      your level of integration.

      In our case, we serve only our images and media files through Akamai
      so our .html pages and shopping cart are always served from our host
      server. However, many companies such as Wall-mart serve their text
      files as well and, consequently, may never actually serve a file to a
      customer directly. In that case, they would want a page tag to
      record the address and other analytical information.

      Akamai does offer log files upon request and does report some
      analytical information about your visitors if you need it but I would
      not think that information would satisfy most analysts and it may be
      hard to integrate.

      --Paul

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Vozzo" <mark.vozzo@...>
      wrote:

      > Following on from the conversation about proxy servers &
      > configuration, I'm not sure if I'm about to throw a spanner in the
      > works, but what effect (if any) do technologies like Akamai
      > (www.akamai.com - a Web Application Acceleration technology) have on
      > web server logs, Geo-IP and page tags?
      >
      > Is anyone using Akamai and if so, has there been any impact on
      > WebAnalytics (be it Page Tags or Web server logs).
      >
      > Thanks, Mark

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic