136Re: Any Info on Pilot Software?

  • wexler
    Jul 28, 2004
      Not to be a basher of Pilot, who has done some great things... but
      when I recently got a series of bids from them for their toolset, I
      discovered that (for us) they charge per request (on top of the
      usual and rather competitve other fees and charges)... even for the
      software we host inhouse. That was unacceptable to my client (and I
      was a bit hacked off by it as well).

      I am sort of fine with ASP providers charging per request, since I
      would be using their systems, bandwidth, databases, hardware, etc.
      But if I am providing the bandwidth, hardware, os licenses, and
      database licenses, should I also have to be charged based on
      volume... when the company is not involved after sending me an
      unlock code?

      Yes, I am fully aware of how Oracle, Sun, and IBM charge based on
      CPU or other capacity/power units. However, I find it hard to put
      Pilot (or any of these other tools) in the same league with the
      supplier of my database or OS. They may have the reputation to get
      away with these sorts of pricing schemes... but even they don't
      charge per volume, but per simultaneous user or multi-way CPU, not
      something as basic as "calculations per month".

      I also would have been fine with a reduced power version and then a
      full version, with pricing differential. I would expect that I have
      to pay more for increased functionality. But to pay more because I
      throw more data at the tool seems... off-putting.

      This was the only product I examined which charged me for its volume
      use even though it was on my systems. I wonder, will SPSS or SAS
      start charging per line of data I run into them (though, to be fair,
      SAS is able to ask for my first born child every year and get it, so
      bad example)? Will Oracle charge me more for use when I pass my 1
      millionth query?

      Now, there may be somethng about the specifics of our situation
      which caused this, and perhaps other installable tools also have
      volume loads (though none of the ones I examined did). Also, the
      Pilot toolset has some good features and some smart people, so DON'T
      dismiss it out of hand. But DO ask if they charge by volume, and I
      would recommend asking that of every vendor you examine. While
      expected from an ASP type provider, I personally am vary wary of a
      vendor putting conditions on my in-house use that are, in my
      opinion, out of their demesne.

      We liked the product enough that we kept in til the finals, even
      though we hated the pricing model. So, one jerk's opinion, and
      again, not based on quality of the tool, just the pricing model.

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "eajacobsjr" <eajacobsjr@y...>
      > Anyone have some feedback, positive/negative regarding the
      > capabilities or offerings of Pilot Sotware?
      > I'm particularly interested in their Channel Performance
      > Solution - PilotWeb.
      > I've looked at CoreMetrics, Omniture, WebTrends, and WebSideStory,
      > but none have really approached channel strategy and business
      > dashboards in this manner.
      > Are there any other players in the market that provide similar
      > I'm hoping to bring Pilot in for a capabilities presentation
      > the next month, but wanted to get some feedback from the group.
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic