1333RE: [webanalytics] Does Broadband = unique permanent IP address?

  • Akin Arikan
    Feb 1, 2005
      >> Although not perfect I would be intested to hear any work done using
      this method (Ip + user- agent is much more reliable.) compared to
      others.

      Per your question above: We compared the results from sessionizing by IP
      address alone vs. sessionizing by the combination of IP address with the
      user agent string a while back. With the refined method of adding the
      user agent string into the equasion the number of visits measured seemed
      to increase by about 10% on the average. So I would say you get an
      impressive 10% more accuracy with the combined approach.

      Needless to say that neither approach is useful for tracking repeat
      visit behavior. For that you want to capture either cookies or even
      better user names.

      Akin
      NetTracker