1329RE: [webanalytics] Does Broadband = unique permanent IP address?

  • Brian Mulvaney
    Jan 31, 2005
      Hi David,

      The major residential broadband ISPs, both cable and DSL primarily use
      dynamic IP address allocation. It makes for more flexible network
      management, generally lower support costs (they don't have to coach
      their customers on setting or re-setting DNS configuration) and means
      users are less likely to run servers (web, mail, game, etc.) on their
      residential plans rather than on higher priced business service plans.
      While the leases on the IP addresses may be fairly long lived--days or
      even weeks--they are still dynamically allocated and subject to change.
      The situation is much better than with dial up where IP addresses only
      last the length of the session, but an IP address is still not a great
      long term unique identifier.

      I think that the biggest benefit of the migration to broadband from a
      web analytics perspective is improved geo-location. The major
      geo-location databases from Quova, Akamai, Digital Envoy (etc.), can
      resolve the location of broadband IP addresses with excellent accuracy.

      Brian Mulvaney
      Regional Manager - Northwest
      WebSideStory, Inc.

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic