12796Re: Why do web analysts switch packages?

  • romanojon
    Sep 1, 2007
      Hey Robbin,

      As you know, we use the Omniture grouping of products. We've had it
      for a year now and dealt with the shifting and changing. I admit it
      doesn't surprise me that analysts would switch. It does surprise me
      that you infer that this is much more frequently than I anticipated.
      For some reason it just doesn't seem likely in the age of much more
      sophisticated tag-based and hybrid solutions. Maybe you have some
      stats on that. :)

      Omniture SiteCatalyst does exhibit some limitations which we would
      like to overcome, but, in all, I think Paul and I agree that the
      adoption of a new solution is not in our best interest. Here my
      reasons for this:

      1. Costs of a new solution, implementation, interface training, agency
      adaptation and re-centering of data is exorbitant and prohibitive. I
      see it as completely unnecessary in the absence of the promise of a
      superior insight driving crystal ball.

      2. The ability to really nurture something like predictive analysis in
      your process relies on the ability to seamlessly compare data in an
      apples to apples environment and to isolate events which cause
      movement in your trend lines and prepare for them. Package-hopping
      removes that necessary aggregate reporting. There is no way around
      this without taking enormous steps at the integrated dashboard level
      to accommodate the transition.

      3. On the macro scale of this topic, constant solution-hopping from
      analysts everywhere only leads to an abundance of underdeveloped tools
      wrought from the impetuous complaints of half-baked analytics
      programs. Think of this one most...if at every advent of a new KPI or
      metric of relative importance we switched to the vendor who had this
      packaged or offered some better-marketed version of something we each
      already have but are unaware of, the true structure of what we're
      operating in is made of sticks and rice-paper.

      In the interest of this becoming an exhaustive work for Saturday AM,
      I'll quit there, but, I will say, if the trend and propensity of
      analysts to switch tools is occurring with the frequency which you
      describe, I would become critical of it and pay very close attention
      to the solution-vendor market tectonics. Watch as the innovations
      stagnate to meet the impulsive demands of a consumer and not the
      comprehensive needs of the practitioner.

      Sincerely,

      Daniel W. Shields
      Analyst
      CableOrganizer.com

      http://danalytics.blogspot.com

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "robbinsteif" <steif@...> wrote:

      > I have read (maybe in the 2002 Marketing Sherpa WA report? I must be
      > an elephant) that the average live of a WA package is 18 months -
      > companies switch a *lot*
      >
      > Why? Hosted analytics are so popular, and every time we switch, we
      > lose all our data. It's true that now we have GA and a free resource
      > to benchmark all our data and keep even when we switch a second
      > package, but this was the trend (I believe) way back before GA.
      >
      > So why do analysts switch so much?
      >

      > Robbin

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic