11694Re: Google Analytics: Tracking Product.Com to Store.WidgetCorp.com in 1 Profile

  • driveong
    Jul 7, 2007
      Justin,

      Thanks so much for your reply. I've never heard of the utmHash
      variable. I've got lots to learn. ;)

      Also, for reporting I assume I should be using the sub-domain filter
      as given in Google Analytics help:

      Filter Type: Custom filter > Advanced
      Field A: Hostname
      Extract A: (.*)
      Field B: Request URI
      Extract B: (.*)
      Output To: Request URI
      Constructor: /$A1$B1

      I noticed that the filter for multi-domain has on difference from the
      above, using "Constructor: $A1$B1" instead of "Constructor: /$A1$B1".

      Thanks Again,

      Daniel

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Justin Cutroni" <justin@...>

      wrote:

      > Hi Daniel,
      >
      > You need to do a couple of things to get tracking to work.
      >
      > First, you absolutely need to use utmLiner(). The reason is that
      > utmLinker() is the actual mechanism that transfers the cookies from
      > one domain to the other. Without utmLinker() you'd have two sets of
      > cookies with DIFFERENT values. You want two sets of cookies with the
      > SAME values.
      >
      > Remember, you may want utmLinker() on WidgetCorp.com pages as well.
      > The reason is that the pages on WidgetCorp.com could be search engine
      > results pages and some visitors might navigate from WidgetCorp.com to
      > ProductA.com.
      >
      > The second thing you need to do is add another variable to the
      > tracking code. This variable is named _uhash and should be set to
      > "off". This variable adds a hashed (or encoded) version of the domain
      > name to the tracking cookies. This value is used during processing by
      > the GA system.
      >
      > On ProductA.com:
      > _udn="none"
      > _uhash="off"
      > _ulink=1;
      >
      > On Store.WidgetCorp.com:
      > _UDN="WidgetCorp.com"
      > _uhash="off"
      > _ulink=1
      >
      > One WidgetCorp.com:
      > _UDN="WidgetCorp.com"
      > _uhash="off"
      > _ulink=1
      >
      > That should do it.
      >
      > Justin
      >
      > http://epikone.com/blog
      >
      > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "driveong" <driveong@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello,
      > >
      > > A. Situation
      > > I've helped set-up plenty of GA accounts, but this is the first time I
      > > have the following tricky situation (for use in 1 profile):
      > >
      > > 1. www.ProductA.com: product website
      > > 2. store.WidgetCorp.com: The store where one can buy ProductA
      > > 3. www.WidgetCorp.com: company website
      > >
      > > Currently, there is a link from ProductA.com to Store.WidgetCorp.com
      > > to buy the product.
      > >
      > > B. Possible Solution?
      > > Google has instructions on multi-domain tracking, and sub-domain
      > > tracking - but nothing on how to track both!
      > >
      > > But based on what I've read/done, I'm assuming the following:
      > >
      > > On ProductA.com:
      > > _UDN="none"
      > >
      > > On Store.WidgetCorp.com:
      > > _UDN="WidgetCorp.com"
      > >
      > > One WidgetCorp.com:
      > > _UDN="none"
      > >
      > > But, do I need to use "_utmLinker" for the link from ProductA.com to
      > > Store.WidgetCorp.com? Like so:
      > >
      > > document.write('<a
      > > href="javascript:__utmLinker(\'https://store.WidgetCorp.com
      > > \');">Purchase
      > > Now</a>');
      > >
      > > Any pointers, recommendations and thoughts greatly appreciated!
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Daniel

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic