11605Re: Relationship between page load time and drop-off rate?

  • justo_ibarra
    Jul 3, 2007
      Hi everybody:

      I just read a recent article about the 8 seconds rule. Altough
      develops a more theoretical approach on the subject maybe results
      helpfull.

      http://www.silverpop.com/landing/emarketer/24.html

      You can download it for free.

      Regards,

      Justo Ibarra.
      jibarra@...

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Apurba Sen" <sensession@...>
      wrote:

      > Hey Tim!!
      >
      > Let me answer your query from marketing standpoint,to be specific
      through
      > Brand Loyalty vs Satisfaction.
      >
      > Using Jones & Sasser framework, customers can be plotted in 4
      quadrants of
      > Loyalty [Y Axis] vs Satisfaction [X Axis]
      >
      > A.Loyalty Low -Satisfaction Low :Terrorist
      >
      > B.Loyalty Low-Satisfaction High :Mercenaries
      >
      > C.Loyalty High-Satisfaction Low :Hostages
      >
      > D.Loyalty High-Satisfaction High :Apostles
      >

      > Customers at the lowest and highest ends of the satisfaction scale
      tend to
      > have intense feelings about a brand and its products /services.
      Terrorists
      > actively attack the brand telling others not to buy from the
      company.
      > Apostles are satisfied and loyal and talk favourably about the
      brand.

      > Using your examples...
      >
      > Terrorist or Mercenaries:Page load time would be a somehow bigger
      deal where
      > plenty of alternative sites are available.They can be found in
      abundance in
      > [cnn.com vs. msnbc.com, lowes.com vs. homedepot.com, espn.com vs.
      > sportsillustrated.cnn.com]
      >
      > Apostles or Hostages:B2B world ,niches even
      > www.webanalyticsassociation.org.Thinking abt "Hostages" in this
      group..what
      > are the other options avl with them :-)
      >
      > Hope this was enlightening enough.
      >
      > Reducing page delivery time should always be a goal while designing
      the
      > page/information layout e.g. progressive download with relatively
      static
      > content being cached.
      >
      > Regds
      >
      > Apurba Sen
      >
      > Related Article :
      >
      > Jones, T., & Sasser, E., 'Why Satisfied Customers Defect' - *Harvard
      > Business Review*, Nov-Dec 1995
      >

      > On 7/2/07, Tim Wilson <twilson@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hmmm. These articles both seem pretty thin when it comes to any
      data to
      > > validate the theory.
      > >

      > > To me, it's always seemed like page load time would be a much
      bigger deal
      > > for sites where there are lots of other alternative sites that
      can be
      > > expected to offer largely similar content: cnn.com vs. msnbc.com,
      > > lowes.com vs. homedepot.com, espn.com vs.
      sportsillustrated.cnn.com. In a
      <http://www.webanalyticsassociation.org/>
      > > page to load (not that it takes that long!).
      > >

      > > It's an interesting challenge for folks on the IT side of the
      house â€" new
      > > functionality rolling out that may require more server crunching
      to deliver
      > > it. How much $$$ should they spend to maintain or reduce load
      times in the
      > > light of new functionality (that, presumably, adds more value for
      the
      > > visitor)?
      > >

      > > (Sorry, Michelle â€" I don't have an answer by any means…but
      I'd love to see
      > > some insights on this from this group!)
      > >

      > > Tim
      > >

      > > ________________________________
      > >
      > > From: webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <webanalytics%
      40yahoogroups.com>[mailto:
      > > webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>] On
      Behalf

      http://www.akamai.com/dl/reports/Site_Abandonment_Final_Report.pdf <

      http://www.akamai.com/dl/reports/Site_Abandonment_Final_Report.pdf> ),
      > > > but the real value is in what the data says.
      > > >
      > > > We have tried analyzing our raw data and can't find a wide
      enough
      > > > spectrum of load times to derive that X% drop off at 3-4
      seconds and X%
      > > > drop off at 5-6 seconds ...
      > > >
      > > > If you have any thought or ideas please let me know.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks,
      > > > Michelle
      > > >

      > > --
      > > Cheers!!
      > > Apurba Sen
      > > Product Development
      > > रेडीफ़.कॉम इंडिया
      लिमिटेड
      > > NASDAQ:REDF
      > > web:www.rediff.com
      > > http://apurba.rediffiland.com <http://apurba.rediffiland.com>
      > > Phone :91-22 2444 9144 * 313
      > > GSM :91-98670- 85718
      > >
      > > "Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from
      something they

      > > have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision."
      > >
      > > --Muhammad Ali

      > --
      > Cheers!!
      > Apurba Sen