11593RE: [webanalytics] Relationship between page load time and drop-off rate?

  • Tim Wilson
    Jul 2 7:06 AM
      Hmmm. These articles both seem pretty thin when it comes to any data to validate the theory.

      To me, it’s always seemed like page load time would be a much bigger deal for sites where there are lots of other alternative sites that can be expected to offer largely similar content: cnn.com vs. msnbc.com, lowes.com vs. homedepot.com, espn.com vs. sportsillustrated.cnn.com. In a B2C world, for sites that I’m going to get into a pattern of visiting, persistently slow load times are going to drive me to look elsewhere. In the B2B world – higher price point products/services, more niches, longer buying cycle – it seems like small changes in page load times would not have much of an impact. I would happily wait for 10 seconds for a www.webanalyticsassociation.org <http://www.webanalyticsassociation.org/> page to load (not that it takes that long!).

      It’s an interesting challenge for folks on the IT side of the house – new functionality rolling out that may require more server crunching to deliver it. How much $$$ should they spend to maintain or reduce load times in the light of new functionality (that, presumably, adds more value for the visitor)?

      (Sorry, Michelle – I don’t have an answer by any means…but I’d love to see some insights on this from this group!)

      Tim