RE: [webalizer] Name & location of local config file?

  • Jean-Noel Hayart
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 6, 2002
      hi,

      the only way to do this is to use a special conf file for each virtual
      server.
      and use command line parameter to specify with conf it use.

      good luck

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 7, 2002
        --- In webalizer@y..., "Jean-Noel Hayart" <jnhayart@n...> wrote:
        > hi,
        >
        > the only way to do this is to use a special conf file for each
        virtual
        > server.
        > and use command line parameter to specify with conf it use.

        Thank you for your quick reply. To clarify, if I specify a local conf
        file via command line, will the global conf file in /etc still be
        parsed? Thank you!
      • Jean-Noel Hayart
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 7, 2002
          hello

          no, webalizer can only parse one file, webalizer.conf in current folder or
          special file give in command line. but only one

          regards

        • cbtrussell
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 7, 2002
            --- In webalizer@y..., "Jean-Noel Hayart" <jnhayart@n...> wrote:
            > hello
            >
            > no, webalizer can only parse one file, webalizer.conf in current
            folder or
            > special file give in command line. but only one
            >
            > regards

            Ahh, that explains it then. Thank you very much for taking the time
            to clear that up!

            Brandon
          • scotty_v
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 7, 2002
              --- In webalizer@y..., "Jean-Noel Hayart" <jnhayart@n...> wrote:
              > no, webalizer can only parse one file, webalizer.conf in
              > current folder or special file give in command line. but only one

              True. So write all of the standard options into one file, and the
              individual options into separate files. Use cat to generate the
              whole config files either statically or at runtime. A previous ISP
              used webalizer, and I asked them how to edit my webalizer.conf. They
              offered to let me keep one in my home directory, but then forbade me
              to specify certain variables. I think they just did something like
              this:

              if (-f ~${user}/webalizer.conf) {
              cat /etc/webalizer.conf ~${user}/webalizer.conf > tmp.conf
              webalizer -c tmp.conf
              }
              else {
              webalizer
              }

              Forgive this syntax, which is certainly not valid shell, but it
              should give you an idea of how to do it. Just cat the global stuff
              and the individual stuff together into a temp file, and have
              webalizer do that. Generate the tmp file for each subsite.
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 7, 2002
                > no, webalizer can only parse one file, webalizer.conf in current folder or
                > special file give in command line. but only one

                Not true. You can specify as many config files as you like on the command
                line without limit, and a default config file will still be read as well.

              • Jean-Noel Hayart
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 7, 2002
                  Sorry, for this bad answer

                • cbtrussell
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 7, 2002
                    No problem Jean-Noel, I appreciate your effort.

                    I was gratified to see Bradford's reply, as the documentation seems
                    to indicate that multiples are allowable, just not specific on how to
                    implement.

                    If I specify a

                    webalizer -c webalizer2.conf

                    among my command line switches, it will then read a webalizer2.conf
                    file IN ADDITION to the global file at /etc. My question is then,
                    which directory do I put the local file in: where the (a) log files
                    are stored, or (b) reports are stored for each virtual site? (Which
                    local directory do I use if I don't specify an absolute path?)

                    Thank you!

                    Brandon