Name & location of local config file?

  • cbtrussell
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 6, 2002
      Hi all,

      I am using Webalizer V2.01 on a Cobalt RaQ4i, installed via the pkg
      at cobalt-aid.sourceforge.net

      It took quite a while to get it all right, but now I have a global
      webalizer.conf file located in /etc that contains config options
      applicable to every name based site on the server.

      What I'd like to do is have an additional file in each virtual site's
      local directory, primarily to provide the ability to exclude self-
      referrals and certain customer sites from that specific domain's
      reports (this local file is properly configured to be incremental to
      the options in the global conf file).

      The documentation led me to believe that a file named webalizer.conf
      in the same directory as the reports would be read by the program, in
      addition to the global file in /etc. This does not work however.

      Where should this local file go, and what should it be called? Am I
      required to specify the name of the local file on the command line,
      and if so will that prevent the global file from being read?

      Thank you for your help!

      Brandon
    • Jean-Noel Hayart
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 6, 2002
        hi,

        the only way to do this is to use a special conf file for each virtual
        server.
        and use command line parameter to specify with conf it use.

        good luck

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 7, 2002
          --- In webalizer@y..., "Jean-Noel Hayart" <jnhayart@n...> wrote:
          > hi,
          >
          > the only way to do this is to use a special conf file for each
          virtual
          > server.
          > and use command line parameter to specify with conf it use.

          Thank you for your quick reply. To clarify, if I specify a local conf
          file via command line, will the global conf file in /etc still be
          parsed? Thank you!
        • Jean-Noel Hayart
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 7, 2002
            hello

            no, webalizer can only parse one file, webalizer.conf in current folder or
            special file give in command line. but only one

            regards

          • cbtrussell
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 7, 2002
              --- In webalizer@y..., "Jean-Noel Hayart" <jnhayart@n...> wrote:
              > hello
              >
              > no, webalizer can only parse one file, webalizer.conf in current
              folder or
              > special file give in command line. but only one
              >
              > regards

              Ahh, that explains it then. Thank you very much for taking the time
              to clear that up!

              Brandon
            • scotty_v
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 7, 2002
                --- In webalizer@y..., "Jean-Noel Hayart" <jnhayart@n...> wrote:
                > no, webalizer can only parse one file, webalizer.conf in
                > current folder or special file give in command line. but only one

                True. So write all of the standard options into one file, and the
                individual options into separate files. Use cat to generate the
                whole config files either statically or at runtime. A previous ISP
                used webalizer, and I asked them how to edit my webalizer.conf. They
                offered to let me keep one in my home directory, but then forbade me
                to specify certain variables. I think they just did something like
                this:

                if (-f ~${user}/webalizer.conf) {
                cat /etc/webalizer.conf ~${user}/webalizer.conf > tmp.conf
                webalizer -c tmp.conf
                }
                else {
                webalizer
                }

                Forgive this syntax, which is certainly not valid shell, but it
                should give you an idea of how to do it. Just cat the global stuff
                and the individual stuff together into a temp file, and have
                webalizer do that. Generate the tmp file for each subsite.
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 7, 2002
                  > no, webalizer can only parse one file, webalizer.conf in current folder or
                  > special file give in command line. but only one

                  Not true. You can specify as many config files as you like on the command
                  line without limit, and a default config file will still be read as well.

                • Jean-Noel Hayart
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 7, 2002
                    Sorry, for this bad answer

                  • cbtrussell
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 7, 2002
                      No problem Jean-Noel, I appreciate your effort.

                      I was gratified to see Bradford's reply, as the documentation seems
                      to indicate that multiples are allowable, just not specific on how to
                      implement.

                      If I specify a

                      webalizer -c webalizer2.conf

                      among my command line switches, it will then read a webalizer2.conf
                      file IN ADDITION to the global file at /etc. My question is then,
                      which directory do I put the local file in: where the (a) log files
                      are stored, or (b) reports are stored for each virtual site? (Which
                      local directory do I use if I don't specify an absolute path?)

                      Thank you!

                      Brandon