Re: monitor stats remotely?

  • scotty_v
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2002
      > However the site I'm talking about now has a crappy statistics
      > package that doesn't have half the functionality of Webalizer.

      > On top
      > of that, they don't allow ANY dynamic content AT ALL. This means no
      > perl scripts, no database scripts, no ASP, ColdFusion, JSP, etc.
      > etc.

      Strictly speaking, webalizer does not typically produce "dynamic
      content". You run the program, it analyzes the logs, it generates a
      report website. The pages on that report site are static until you
      run webalizer again. Webalizer does not attempt to do such things in
      real time.

      If you can telnet/SSH to the server and run webalizer right before
      you examine the logs, then the generation becomes purely interactive.
      Better yet, since you're the only one who can generate them, there
      won't be a bunch of log processing by random visitors. Maybe that
      would pacify your hosts?

      My hosting company allows cron jobs, and I run webalizer in that once
      a day. Works great.
    • gaijindesign
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2002
        > Strictly speaking, webalizer does not typically produce "dynamic
        > content". You run the program, it analyzes the logs, it generates a
        > report website. The pages on that report site are static until you
        > run webalizer again. Webalizer does not attempt to do such things
        in
        > real time.
        > If you can telnet/SSH to the server and run webalizer right before
        > you examine the logs, then the generation becomes purely
        interactive.

        Nice idea, but my hosts are complete bitches. http://UK2.NET they
        don't allow any cgi scripts at all, ever, never mind telnet access.
        They'd crap their pants in a second if you mentioned it - not that
        you can actually get hold of them. They have no phone number, no fax
        number, no listed email address, and they desperately, desperately
        don't want any of their clients to contact them.

        Needless to say I don't host clients ther anymore, but this guy I;m
        working with is signed up to em for another 2 years. *sigh*
      • Ian Rogers
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2002
          You get what you pay for with UK2 (I host with them too and the cost is
          perfect for the service).

          Just use SSH instead of telnet (like you know you should!) - but webalizer
          takes long enough to run, simply because the logs tend to be big, that once
          a day in cron is about right anyway.

          Or you could write a PHP page that extracted a small log, ran webalizer on
          it and then redirected you to the new page. UK2 won't have a problem with
          that.

          Ian.