monitor stats remotely?

  • gaijindesign
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2001
      OK... I'm looking for help and/or recommendations please :D

      I'm the webmaster for a site that's beginning to average about 500-
      1000 hits a day, and rather than stare at raw logfiles I want
      something informative and pretty to look at in the way of stats. My
      own site is hosted on a lovely server that offers free Webalizer
      stats. However the site I'm talking about now has a crappy statistics
      package that doesn't have half the functionality of Webalizer. On top
      of that, they don't allow ANY dynamic content AT ALL. This means no
      perl scripts, no database scripts, no ASP, ColdFusion, JSP, etc. etc.

      So, my question is: Is there any way to remotely monitor a site with
      the same statistical functionality of Webalizer?

      Thankyou muchly.
    • scotty_v
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2002
        > However the site I'm talking about now has a crappy statistics
        > package that doesn't have half the functionality of Webalizer.

        > On top
        > of that, they don't allow ANY dynamic content AT ALL. This means no
        > perl scripts, no database scripts, no ASP, ColdFusion, JSP, etc.
        > etc.

        Strictly speaking, webalizer does not typically produce "dynamic
        content". You run the program, it analyzes the logs, it generates a
        report website. The pages on that report site are static until you
        run webalizer again. Webalizer does not attempt to do such things in
        real time.

        If you can telnet/SSH to the server and run webalizer right before
        you examine the logs, then the generation becomes purely interactive.
        Better yet, since you're the only one who can generate them, there
        won't be a bunch of log processing by random visitors. Maybe that
        would pacify your hosts?

        My hosting company allows cron jobs, and I run webalizer in that once
        a day. Works great.
      • gaijindesign
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2002
          > Strictly speaking, webalizer does not typically produce "dynamic
          > content". You run the program, it analyzes the logs, it generates a
          > report website. The pages on that report site are static until you
          > run webalizer again. Webalizer does not attempt to do such things
          in
          > real time.
          > If you can telnet/SSH to the server and run webalizer right before
          > you examine the logs, then the generation becomes purely
          interactive.

          Nice idea, but my hosts are complete bitches. http://UK2.NET they
          don't allow any cgi scripts at all, ever, never mind telnet access.
          They'd crap their pants in a second if you mentioned it - not that
          you can actually get hold of them. They have no phone number, no fax
          number, no listed email address, and they desperately, desperately
          don't want any of their clients to contact them.

          Needless to say I don't host clients ther anymore, but this guy I;m
          working with is signed up to em for another 2 years. *sigh*
        • Ian Rogers
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2002
            You get what you pay for with UK2 (I host with them too and the cost is
            perfect for the service).

            Just use SSH instead of telnet (like you know you should!) - but webalizer
            takes long enough to run, simply because the logs tend to be big, that once
            a day in cron is about right anyway.

            Or you could write a PHP page that extracted a small log, ran webalizer on
            it and then redirected you to the new page. UK2 won't have a problem with
            that.

            Ian.