Rotating logs and corrupt files

  • chidoken
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 26, 2001
      Hi there,

      I'm using webalizer at the moment, I told my server recently to
      rotate my logs, it does this no problem, but now, webalizer reports

      Error: Unable to restore run data (12)

      But not all the time, if I delete the .hist and .current files, it
      works for a while, then stops.

      The logs rotate daily up to a multiple of 4, then emails the last one
      to me.

      Thanks in advance.

      Mike Pearce
    • mike_gifford_1999
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2002
        Hi Mike,

        I am also rotating my logs.. The trouble is I just don't see the info
        that isn't in the specified log file.

        Apache is now configured with:
        CustomLog "|/usr/sbin/rotatelogs /usr/local/DEV/DEVLOGS/DEVaccess_log
        86400" combined

        which produces files like this:

        DEVaccess_log.1009497600 DEVaccess_log.1009843200
        DEVaccess_log.1009584000 DEVaccess_log.1009929600
        DEVaccess_log.1009670400 DEVaccess_log.1010016000
        DEVaccess_log.1009756800

        Which is fine except that Webalizer doesn't seem to accept this in its
        configuration:
        LogFile /usr/local/DEV/DEVLOGS/DEVaccess_log

        or this for that matter:
        LogFile /usr/local/DEV/DEVLOGS/DEVaccess_log

        The client had hoped to move alway from analog, though I guess that
        isn't an option if this isn't supported here..

        Mike