DNS Lookup on windows

  • Frank van den Dungen
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 20, 2001

      Can someone tell me how to enable dns lookup on windows 2000 machines? The stats says a 100% unresolved now.

      Thanks in advance

      Frank

    • Kees de Keizer
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 20, 2001
        On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Frank van den Dungen wrote:

        > Can someone tell me how to enable dns lookup on windows 2000
        > machines? The stats says a 100% unresolved now.

        From the webalizer.conf:

        DNSCache specifies the DNS cache filename to use for reverse
        DNS lookups. This file must be specified if you wish to perform
        name lookups on any IP addresses found in the log file.

        Wirehub! Internet PGP: 0x24E3770B F: +31-10-2448356
      • Frank van den Dungen
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 20, 2001
          Well, I understand that part.

          But WHERE can I find that dns cache file on my Win2k Webserver? I even don't know if it has one.

          Frank

          On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Frank van den Dungen wrote:

          > Can someone tell me how to enable dns lookup on windows 2000
          > machines? The stats says a 100% unresolved now.

          From the webalizer.conf:

          --
          Kees de Keizer        NT Administrator      T: +31-10-2448344
          Wirehub! Internet     PGP:  0x24E3770B      F: +31-10-2448356

        • scotty_v
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 20, 2001
            --- In webalizer@y..., "Frank van den Dungen" <fvddungen@n...> wrote:
            > Well, I understand that part.
            >
            > But WHERE can I find that dns cache file on my Win2k Webserver?
            > I even don't know if it has one.

            I may be speaking out of line here, since I use webalizer under
            FreeBSD and not Win2K, but I believe strongly that this item is
            common between the two. Your mileage may vary.

            The DNS Cache is created, updated, and used exclusively by Webalizer.
            It is not a part of the operating system. When you specify the
            cache file and the number of DNS children, the next invocation of
            webalizer or webazolver will attempt to create it. Further
            invocations will use and update the cache.

            If you are processing different sites on the same server with
            webalizer, all of the sites can use a common DNS cache, which should
            improve performance proportional to the commonality of the IPs
            accessing each site. I have one DNS cache serving four sites on my
            hosting account and it works great.

            Be sure that the webalizer process will have read and write access
            for the directory with the cache if you don't put it in the same
            directory as webalizer.hist and webalizer.current.

            The DNS.README file in the *nix distribution explains the details of
            the two ways to invoke webalizer's DNS capabilities. I'm sorry that
            I can't say more about the Windows port, although I hope it also has
            the very informative DNS.README. :-)
          • Kees de Keizer
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 21, 2001
              Op 20-12-2001 schreef scotty_v:

              > > But WHERE can I find that dns cache file on my Win2k Webserver?
              > > I even don't know if it has one.
              >
              > I may be speaking out of line here, since I use webalizer under
              > FreeBSD and not Win2K, but I believe strongly that this item is
              > common between the two. Your mileage may vary.
              >
              > The DNS Cache is created, updated, and used exclusively by Webalizer.
              > It is not a part of the operating system. When you specify the
              > cache file and the number of DNS children, the next invocation of
              > webalizer or webazolver will attempt to create it. Further
              > invocations will use and update the cache.
              >
              > If you are processing different sites on the same server with
              > webalizer, all of the sites can use a common DNS cache, which should
              > improve performance proportional to the commonality of the IPs
              > accessing each site. I have one DNS cache serving four sites on my
              > hosting account and it works great.
              >
              > Be sure that the webalizer process will have read and write access
              > for the directory with the cache if you don't put it in the same
              > directory as webalizer.hist and webalizer.current.

              I have to add just one thing to this story. If you use the
              'ServerList' option, you should specify a full path to the
              DNS Cache file, otherwise it won't be read the next time you
              start webalizer.
              Wirehub! Internet PGP: 0x24E3770B F: +31-10-2448356
              Ev'ryone there will have moved here ! [West Side Story]