Webalizer on windows not working

  • fvddungen
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 20, 2001
      Hi,

      I installed the new Webalizer 2.01.09.RB06 for windows today on my
      windows 2000 server.

      I thought I have set up everything right, but when I run webalizer
      all I get is a lot of error messages like:
      - Skipping bad record (###)
      - Warning: Truncating oversized username

      And at the end 'No valid records found'.

      The log format is w3c and according to the documentation that should
      work.

      Anyone any clue what is going wrong?

      Thanks in advance

      Frank
    • anikinpt
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 20, 2001
        Hi,

        I had the same problem so i converted all the logs to NCSA and run
        the webalizer with this ones.

        There's something with the W3C logs.

        --- In webalizer@y..., "fvddungen" <fvddungen@n...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I installed the new Webalizer 2.01.09.RB06 for windows today on my
        > windows 2000 server.
        >
        > I thought I have set up everything right, but when I run webalizer
        > all I get is a lot of error messages like:
        > - Skipping bad record (###)
        > - Warning: Truncating oversized username
        >
        > And at the end 'No valid records found'.
        >
        > The log format is w3c and according to the documentation that
        should
        > work.
        >
        > Anyone any clue what is going wrong?
        >
        > Thanks in advance
        >
        > Frank
      • lintadsl
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 20, 2001
          I have some problem here with log files, I don't want to lose all
          most two years of log files(IIS format). I am trying to convert to
          NCSA but failed. Webalizer doesn't read right. Anyone knows what
          tool needs to use to convert?

          Thank you in advance.

          Sunny,

          --- In webalizer@y..., "anikinpt" <hugo@m...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I had the same problem so i converted all the logs to NCSA and run
          > the webalizer with this ones.
          >
          > There's something with the W3C logs.
          >

          > --- In webalizer@y..., "fvddungen" <fvddungen@n...> wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I installed the new Webalizer 2.01.09.RB06 for windows today on
          my
          > > windows 2000 server.
          > >
          > > I thought I have set up everything right, but when I run
          webalizer
          > > all I get is a lot of error messages like:
          > > - Skipping bad record (###)
          > > - Warning: Truncating oversized username
          > >
          > > And at the end 'No valid records found'.
          > >
          > > The log format is w3c and according to the documentation that
          > should
          > > work.
          > >
          > > Anyone any clue what is going wrong?
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance
          > >
          > > Frank
        • Kees de Keizer
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 20, 2001
            Op 20-12-2001 schreef lintadsl:

            > I have some problem here with log files, I don't want to lose all
            > most two years of log files(IIS format). I am trying to convert to
            > NCSA but failed. Webalizer doesn't read right. Anyone knows what
            > tool needs to use to convert?

            convlog, should be on your system in the map system32.

            Consider switching to the W3C format, this can be read by
            webalizer if at least these fields are in the log:
            "date", "time", "c-ip","cs-username", "cs-uri-stem",
            "sc-status","sc-bytes", "cs(User-Agent)", "cs(Referer)"
            Wirehub! Internet PGP: 0x24E3770B F: +31-10-2448356
            Raise it up the master's arse [Les Miz]
          • lintadsl
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 20, 2001
              Thank you for the answer.
              I will switch to NCSA soon, once I get this conversion right.
              In the convlog command, do you know what does -t ncsa:+0800 do?
              Sounds like time zone setting but I am not sure how to use.
              I am in Centural time(US)

              Thanks again,

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 20, 2001
                Op 20-12-2001 schreef lintadsl:

                > [Converting IIS ti NSCA]
                > I will switch to NCSA soon, once I get this conversion right.
                > In the convlog command, do you know what does -t ncsa:+0800 do?
                > Sounds like time zone setting but I am not sure how to use.

                Check the following URL for more information 'bout this tool

                http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/iis/htm/core/iicnvlg.htm
                Wirehub! Internet PGP: 0x24E3770B F: +31-10-2448356
                Let daylight dry your tears [The Phantom]
              • Frank van den Dungen
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 20, 2001
                  Hi,

                  I have it working now. The problem was that the config file needs to be called webalizer.conf and nothing else. I thought that I could make several config files with different names and run them with 'webalizer filename.conf', but that doesn't work.

                  I still have my log format in W3C format and everything works fine. But still I read several people who want to convert the format to ncsa. Can someone tell me why? I don't see the advantage of it.

                  Frank

                • lintadsl
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 20, 2001
                    It should work.
                    Try with 'webalizer -c filename.conf'
                    make sure in filename.conf has set different output location.

                    Regards,

                    --- In webalizer@y..., "Frank van den Dungen" <fvddungen@n...> wrote:
                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > I have it working now. The problem was that the config file needs
                    to be called webalizer.conf and nothing else. I thought that I could
                    make several config files with different names and run them
                    with 'webalizer filename.conf', but that doesn't work.

                    > I still have my log format in W3C format and everything works fine.
                    But still I read several people who want to convert the format to
                    ncsa. Can someone tell me why? I don't see the advantage of it.

                    > Frank
                  • Kees de Keizer
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 20, 2001
                      On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Frank van den Dungen wrote:

                      > I still have my log format in W3C format and everything works fine.
                      > But still I read several people who want to convert the format to
                      > ncsa. Can someone tell me why? I don't see the advantage of it.

                      NCSA is a more standard format, however, to create stats with
                      webalizer you can also use W3C. If your log is in the IIS format
                      (logfiles start with 'in'), you should convert them to NCSA so
                      they can be processed by webalizer.
                      Wirehub! Internet PGP: 0x24E3770B F: +31-10-2448356
                    • Gurpreet Singh
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 20, 2001
                        Yes, it has to do something with the fields included in the logs, you need to
                        get into Advanced logs settings and activate the basic 8 or 9 fields.

                        fvddungen wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > I installed the new Webalizer 2.01.09.RB06 for windows today on my
                        > windows 2000 server.
                        >
                        > I thought I have set up everything right, but when I run webalizer
                        > all I get is a lot of error messages like:
                        > - Skipping bad record (###)
                        > - Warning: Truncating oversized username
                        >
                        > And at the end 'No valid records found'.
                        >
                        > The log format is w3c and according to the documentation that should
                        > work.
                        >
                        > Anyone any clue what is going wrong?
                        >
                        > Thanks in advance
                        >
                        > Frank

                        Gurpreet Singh

                        President/CEO
                        DelhiNet Web Services Pvt. Ltd.

                        Mobile: +91-9811088399 | E-Fax: +1(503) 2149982
                        Yahoo! Messanger ID on Mobile (always on, 24 hours) : delhinet
                        E-Mail: mailto:gp@... | Web Site: http://allindianet.com

                        Contact Details at http://allindianet.com/contact
                        ICQ Pager: 12560431 | AOL Instant Messanger Screen name: GPSDNET
                        MSN Messanger User Name: mohindragps | Yahoo! Messanger ID: gpsdnet

                        The information contained in this electronic transmission is intended only
                        for the use of the recipient and may be confidential and privileged.
                        Unauthorized use, disclosure or reproduction is strictly prohibited, and
                        unlawful. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please
                        notify the sender immediately.