Total KB

  • deals2000
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 12, 2001
      The KBytes sent fields from Webalizer seem excessive to me. It's
      several times larger than what the SNMP stats say wass transferred
      over the NIC!

      A few questions:

      1) If an image is served from the browser cache, will the stats still
      add the size of the image to KBytes?
      2) What do you make of this:
      Image: 8,754 byte
      Hits on that image: 8,452
      KBytes transferred: 36,008

      huh? The math doesn't work out unless it's not taking into account
      cached images in which case #1 then doesn't make sense.
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 12, 2001
        > The KBytes sent fields from Webalizer seem excessive to me. It's
        > several times larger than what the SNMP stats say wass transferred
        > over the NIC!

        The program simply adds up the 'bytes' total in your web server logs.
        It's pretty easy to verify.. just add them up yourself and compare.

        > A few questions:
        >
        > 1) If an image is served from the browser cache, will the stats still
        > add the size of the image to KBytes?

        Depends on what your web server reports. Apache does not generate a
        bytes field for 304 requests, and just logs a '-' blank field, so
        those requests would not alter the KBytes total at all (0 bytes).

        > 2) What do you make of this:
        > Image: 8,754 byte
        > Hits on that image: 8,452
        > KBytes transferred: 36,008

        Looks quite reasonable.. roughly half of those hits were satisfied
        from the browsers cache..

        > huh? The math doesn't work out unless it's not taking into account
        > cached images in which case #1 then doesn't make sense.

        8754 X 8452 = 73,988,808 bytes, or ~72,254K

        72254 / 36008 = .4983 or roughly 50% cached.

        What do you mean the 'math doesn't work out'.. I'm kind of at a
        loss as what you are trying to get at.