Can I disable Webalizer on a site? Frontpage Probs.

  • uk2@themonkees.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2001
      I'm tired of playing the game with Frontpage updates, having to
      frequently edit files via SSH when webalizer updates. Is there a way
      I can either disable a site from webalizer & will that keep it from
      writing to my stats file, creating access problems with the
      publishing? Or can I make webalizer update permissions when it
      updates?

      Thanks...Phil
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2001
        > I'm tired of playing the game with Frontpage updates, having to
        > frequently edit files via SSH when webalizer updates.

        Found in a USENet posting:

        -> Open the remote site in FP and right click on the folder holding
        -> the stats and convert to a subweb.

      • uk2@themonkees.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 4, 2001
          I'm using a Linux server, permissions different. It won't create a
          subweb for me d/t "the server can't change
          permissions...blah.blah.blah note I get when I try to convert. If I
          create a subweb called ~stats, can I move the files from my default
          stats folder to the new one, & do you think stats will still work,
          or will I get error messages? Just wondering.

          Thanks again...Phil

        • jared_at_prime@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 4, 2001
            Making it a sub web is not going to help the situation, because
            everytime webalizer runs, it generates the reports as the root user
            or a user that you are not, which is why you are getting these errors.
            You should contact the system administrator of the server that you
            are on and have them make the following entry for your stats
            directory:
            chown -Rf username.usergroup /path/to/your/stats/*
            They should also make sure that the directory that the reports are
            being written to is owned by you.
            The entry that I make at my company for any stats program that is
            generating reports for a site that is utilizing Front Page, is the
            following:
            /usr/local/bin/webalizer -c /path/to/your/configuration.file
            chown -Rf username.usergroup /path/to/your/stats/*
            The first line will generate your stats, then the second line will
            change the ownership on the reports that are generated. This will
            solve your issues with publishing via frontpage.

          • jared_at_prime@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 4, 2001