error in loading shared libraries

  • jasonelau@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 13, 2001
      [root@linux /root]# webalizer
      webalizer: error in loading shared libraries: libpng.so.3: cannot

      [root@linux /root]# whereis libpng.so.3
      libpng.so: /usr/lib/libpng.so.2 /usr/local/lib/libpng.so.3 /usr/local
      /lib/libpng.so

      I configured and compiled the source Why can't webalizer find
      libpng since it actually exists?
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 13, 2001
        On Wed, 14 Nov 2001 jasonelau@... wrote:

        > [root@linux /root]# webalizer
        > webalizer: error in loading shared libraries: libpng.so.3: cannot
        >
        > [root@linux /root]# whereis libpng.so.3
        > libpng.so: /usr/lib/libpng.so.2 /usr/local/lib/libpng.so.3 /usr/local
        > /lib/libpng.so
        >
        > I configured and compiled the source Why can't webalizer find
        > libpng since it actually exists?

        The webalizer (or any dynamic binary) doesn't "find" libraries,
        that is a function of the run-time linking loader. If you install
        a library, and fail to let the loader know about it, you will get
        the above error. On linux, this involves running the ldconfig
        program to update the library cache.. you may need to edit the
        /etc/ld.so.conf file first if the library is in a non-standard
        location. On other systems (such as Solaris), you need to make
        sure the library path is in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment
        variable.

        How do you give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt when you
        know that if you were to throw it in a room with truth, you'd
        risk a matter/anti-matter explosion? -- Nicholas Petreley IDG