rotating logs

  • jxk@nserc.ca
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 13, 2001
      I'm running webalizer 2.0.1 and rotating my log files using the
      RotateLogs directive in my httpd.conf file. This creates several log
      files with name access_log.(timestamp). Do I need to run webalizer
      for each file or is there a way to run it once that looks at all the
      log files?

      I do have "Incremental yes" in my webalizer.conf file, and I
      tried "LogFile access_log*" but that was unpopular with webalizer. I
      can't see any way to do this without using a script that runs
      webalizer for each access_log file.

      Thanks in advance,
      Jim
    • Jorge Santos
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 13, 2001
        You have to come up with a script that reads the contents of the logs dir
        and webalizes each file at a time, i.e. a loop that calls webalizer giving
        as input parameter the file name

        \_/ Jorge Alexandre Santos
        'v' jorgesantos@...
        // \\ Tel : 212327300
        /( )\ Fax : 212327301
        ^`~´^ Valnet Sado S.A.

      • kideng@kidengineer.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 14, 2001
          --- In webalizer@y..., jxk@n... wrote:
          > I'm running webalizer 2.0.1 and rotating my log files using the
          > RotateLogs directive in my httpd.conf file. This creates several
          log
          > files with name access_log.(timestamp). Do I need to run webalizer
          > for each file or is there a way to run it once that looks at all
          the
          > log files?
          >
          > I do have "Incremental yes" in my webalizer.conf file, and I
          > tried "LogFile access_log*" but that was unpopular with webalizer.
          > can't see any way to do this without using a script that runs
          > webalizer for each access_log file.
          >
          > Thanks in advance,
          > Jim

          Well, a quick way to do this is to put a
          "cat access_log* > bigasslog" in your crontab and then have
          "LogFile bigasslog" in your conf.

          Jerry