Re: [webalizer] Re: ld.so.1: webalizer: fatal: libpng.so.2

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 12, 2001
      On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Tim Perkins wrote:

      > Thanks, but why would it work with a previous version (ver 2.01-06)
      > but not with 2.01-09? Also, where can I find the libpng.so.2 library?

      The current binary has the png (and other) library dynamically linked.
      Previous versions were statically linked, resulting in a much larger
      executable size. Solaris 2.8 comes with libpng, typically installed
      in /opt/sfw/lib. If you don't have it, the png home page can be found
      at: http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/

      Any GUI that doesn't allow full customization - or does not
      allow you to make it operate and look like any other GUI...
      should be considerd broken. Jim Gettys, X-windows co-author
    • Tim Perkins
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 14, 2001
        Man, this is really frustrating... I've installed both zlib and
        PNG. Here's the results of some find commands:

        # find / -name libpng.so.2
        /apps/lib/libpng.so.2

        # find / -name libpng.so.2.1.0.6
        /var/tmp/libpng/root/usr/local/lib/libpng.so.2.1.0.6
        /apps/lib/libpng.so.2.1.0.6

        # find / -name libz.so.1.1.3
        /var/tmp/zlib/root/usr/local/lib/libz.so.1.1.3
        /apps/lib/libz.so.1.1.3

        # echo $PATH
        :/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/ucb:/usr/openwin/bin:/apps/bin:/usr/lib:/apps
        /lib

        But when I run webalizer, I still get:
        # webalizer -version
        ld.so.1: webalizer: fatal: libpng.so.2: open failed: No such file or
        directory
        Killed

        What should I do next?

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 14, 2001
          > # find / -name libpng.so.2
          > /apps/lib/libpng.so.2
          [...]
          > # echo $PATH
          > :/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/ucb:/usr/openwin/bin:/apps/bin:/usr/lib:/apps
          > /lib
          >
          > But when I run webalizer, I still get:
          > # webalizer -version
          > ld.so.1: webalizer: fatal: libpng.so.2: open failed: No such file or
          > directory
          > Killed
          >
          > What should I do next?

          Did you add /apps/lib to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH ???
          ie: LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/apps/lib

          You can't just install a library in some non-standard location and expect
          the linker to find it (And $PATH has nothing to do with it).

          In any event, I've updated the Solaris binary package on the ftp site with
          one that has libpng, libgd, libz and libdb statically linked..

          Here the ways of men part: if you wish to strive for
          peace of soul and pleasure, then believe; if you wish
          to be a devotee of truth, then inquire. -- Nietzsche
        • Tim Perkins
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 14, 2001
            Thanks... I'm obviously a Unix newbee. I tried adding (creating, in
            my case) the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but still got the same error. I've
            downloaded the new binary and it ran like a champ!

            Thanks for you help and for supporting this user group,

            Tim Perkins