Re: [webalizer] ld.so.1: webalizer: fatal: libpng.so.2

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 12, 2001
      > I just tried to upgrade to the latest version of Webalizer for
      > Solaris. I downloaded the tar file, untarred and moved the files to
      > the /apps/bin directory but now when I run it I get the following:
      >
      > ld.so.1: webalizer: fatal: libpng.so.2: open failed: No such file or
      > directory
      > Killed
      >
      > What should I do next?

      Make sure you have the PNG library (libpng.so.2) on your system, and that
      it's in your library path so that the run-time linking loader (ld.so.1)
      can find it.

    • Tim Perkins
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 12, 2001
        Thanks, but why would it work with a previous version (ver 2.01-06)
        but not with 2.01-09? Also, where can I find the libpng.so.2 library?

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 12, 2001
          On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Tim Perkins wrote:

          > Thanks, but why would it work with a previous version (ver 2.01-06)
          > but not with 2.01-09? Also, where can I find the libpng.so.2 library?

          The current binary has the png (and other) library dynamically linked.
          Previous versions were statically linked, resulting in a much larger
          executable size. Solaris 2.8 comes with libpng, typically installed
          in /opt/sfw/lib. If you don't have it, the png home page can be found
          at: http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/

          Any GUI that doesn't allow full customization - or does not
          allow you to make it operate and look like any other GUI...
          should be considerd broken. Jim Gettys, X-windows co-author
        • Tim Perkins
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 14, 2001
            Man, this is really frustrating... I've installed both zlib and
            PNG. Here's the results of some find commands:

            # find / -name libpng.so.2
            /apps/lib/libpng.so.2

            # find / -name libpng.so.2.1.0.6
            /var/tmp/libpng/root/usr/local/lib/libpng.so.2.1.0.6
            /apps/lib/libpng.so.2.1.0.6

            # find / -name libz.so.1.1.3
            /var/tmp/zlib/root/usr/local/lib/libz.so.1.1.3
            /apps/lib/libz.so.1.1.3

            # echo $PATH
            :/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/ucb:/usr/openwin/bin:/apps/bin:/usr/lib:/apps
            /lib

            But when I run webalizer, I still get:
            # webalizer -version

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 14, 2001
              > # find / -name libpng.so.2
              > /apps/lib/libpng.so.2
              [...]
              > # echo $PATH
              > :/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/ucb:/usr/openwin/bin:/apps/bin:/usr/lib:/apps
              > /lib
              >
              > But when I run webalizer, I still get:
              > # webalizer -version
              > ld.so.1: webalizer: fatal: libpng.so.2: open failed: No such file or
              > directory
              > Killed
              >
              > What should I do next?

              Did you add /apps/lib to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH ???
              ie: LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/apps/lib

              You can't just install a library in some non-standard location and expect
              the linker to find it (And $PATH has nothing to do with it).

              In any event, I've updated the Solaris binary package on the ftp site with
              one that has libpng, libgd, libz and libdb statically linked..

              Here the ways of men part: if you wish to strive for
              peace of soul and pleasure, then believe; if you wish
              to be a devotee of truth, then inquire. -- Nietzsche
            • Tim Perkins
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 14, 2001
                Thanks... I'm obviously a Unix newbee. I tried adding (creating, in
                my case) the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but still got the same error. I've
                downloaded the new binary and it ran like a champ!

                Thanks for you help and for supporting this user group,

                Tim Perkins