ld.so.1: webalizer: fatal: libpng.so.2

  • Tim Perkins
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 12, 2001
      I just tried to upgrade to the latest version of Webalizer for
      Solaris. I downloaded the tar file, untarred and moved the files to
      the /apps/bin directory but now when I run it I get the following:

      ld.so.1: webalizer: fatal: libpng.so.2: open failed: No such file or
      directory
      Killed

      What should I do next?

      Thanks,

      Tim
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 12, 2001
        > I just tried to upgrade to the latest version of Webalizer for
        > Solaris. I downloaded the tar file, untarred and moved the files to
        > the /apps/bin directory but now when I run it I get the following:
        >
        > ld.so.1: webalizer: fatal: libpng.so.2: open failed: No such file or
        > directory
        > Killed
        >
        > What should I do next?

        Make sure you have the PNG library (libpng.so.2) on your system, and that
        it's in your library path so that the run-time linking loader (ld.so.1)
        can find it.

      • Tim Perkins
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 12, 2001
          Thanks, but why would it work with a previous version (ver 2.01-06)
          but not with 2.01-09? Also, where can I find the libpng.so.2 library?

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 12, 2001
            On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Tim Perkins wrote:

            > Thanks, but why would it work with a previous version (ver 2.01-06)
            > but not with 2.01-09? Also, where can I find the libpng.so.2 library?

            The current binary has the png (and other) library dynamically linked.
            Previous versions were statically linked, resulting in a much larger
            executable size. Solaris 2.8 comes with libpng, typically installed
            in /opt/sfw/lib. If you don't have it, the png home page can be found
            at: http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/

            Any GUI that doesn't allow full customization - or does not
            allow you to make it operate and look like any other GUI...
            should be considerd broken. Jim Gettys, X-windows co-author
          • Tim Perkins
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 14, 2001
              Man, this is really frustrating... I've installed both zlib and
              PNG. Here's the results of some find commands:

              # find / -name libpng.so.2
              /apps/lib/libpng.so.2

              # find / -name libpng.so.2.1.0.6
              /var/tmp/libpng/root/usr/local/lib/libpng.so.2.1.0.6
              /apps/lib/libpng.so.2.1.0.6

              # find / -name libz.so.1.1.3
              /var/tmp/zlib/root/usr/local/lib/libz.so.1.1.3
              /apps/lib/libz.so.1.1.3

              # echo $PATH
              :/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/ucb:/usr/openwin/bin:/apps/bin:/usr/lib:/apps
              /lib

              But when I run webalizer, I still get:
              # webalizer -version

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 14, 2001
                > # find / -name libpng.so.2
                > /apps/lib/libpng.so.2
                [...]
                > # echo $PATH
                > :/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/ucb:/usr/openwin/bin:/apps/bin:/usr/lib:/apps
                > /lib
                >
                > But when I run webalizer, I still get:
                > # webalizer -version
                > ld.so.1: webalizer: fatal: libpng.so.2: open failed: No such file or
                > directory
                > Killed
                >
                > What should I do next?

                Did you add /apps/lib to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH ???
                ie: LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/apps/lib

                You can't just install a library in some non-standard location and expect
                the linker to find it (And $PATH has nothing to do with it).

                In any event, I've updated the Solaris binary package on the ftp site with
                one that has libpng, libgd, libz and libdb statically linked..

                Here the ways of men part: if you wish to strive for
                peace of soul and pleasure, then believe; if you wish
                to be a devotee of truth, then inquire. -- Nietzsche
              • Tim Perkins
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 14, 2001
                  Thanks... I'm obviously a Unix newbee. I tried adding (creating, in
                  my case) the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but still got the same error. I've
                  downloaded the new binary and it ran like a champ!

                  Thanks for you help and for supporting this user group,

                  Tim Perkins