Re: [webalizer] Reverse DNS..?

  • Les Jones
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 19, 2001
      The best trick on unknown IP's is to use the arin whois dbase @
      www.arin.net/whois . This should, at least, tell you who owns the group
      of ip's in question.
      From there you should be able to find a dns name and then try NSI
      (network solutions) whois for the owner.

      Or you can do an nslookup on the ip itself if you have the proper
      software loaded. Of course, that depends on your OS.

      Keep in mind, not all service providers put reverse dns on ip's. A good
      example is dialup accounts that have dynamically assigned ip's. They may
      have thousands of ip's and just don't take the time to address properly.

      Try the arin tool......you'll like it!

      Les Jones
      SEit - NOC
      MIkrotec Internet Services

      ftnx@... wrote:

      >Thursday October 18 2001 09:43, Stephen Wells wrote to Adrianne Mally:
      >

      > SW> Sorry this is over my head, so I re-send it and see if anyone else
      > SW> can
      > SW> help ?
      >
      >I thought this list was dead.
      >
      >This is the first message that landed here, and caught my attention,
      >since I had trouble with reverse DNS. However, I cannot determine what
      >the other user's problem actually is.
      >
      > KS
      >
      > KARICO Business Services
      > Toronto, ON Canada
      > http://www.karico.ca
      >
      >... A journey of a thousand miles begins with a cash advance.

      >Webalizer homepage: http://www.webalizer.org
      >Webalizer for NT: http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/

    • Adrianne Mally
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 19, 2001
        Hello Les,

        Thank you for your mail and your time on this matter.

        Struggling a little here, due to my somewhat natal
        computer skills! :-> My apologies.

        Arin couldn't help, but Ripe could.
        As I found before.
        Was only able to give me the ISP though.

        After that I found Neotrace (an older version) could
        give me the IP name, and a grid reference.

        Also, NSLookup is able to give the IPname.

        However, the only place the name turns up is on
        other's web stats.
        The grid reference appears to be quite broad.
        So doesn't shed any real light.

        Reading Neotrace's sales info it could be they are
        using Neotrace's stealth tool...Neo something...to
        vanish their trace on the web.

        Retrieved somekind of computer address through where
        their mail is handled.
        May just be to do with the ISP.
        Otherwise I get refusals to info, or on Neotrace host
        not responding.

        Tried to follow what you wrote about NS1 but didn't
        know how to find/access it.

        Finger trace tools seem useful (through NSlookup
        searches).
        Haven't been able to find successful access to the
        program however.

        Learning fast, but never fast enough! :->

        From the ISP I was able to understand that it is an
        assigned/static IP.

        Would have been more concise had I not been going
        round in circles for a while today! ;->

        Thank you for any help you can offer,

        Kind regards,
        Adrianne.