Re: Problem with Incremental Update

  • careybunks@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8, 2001
      Okay, cool, I get to respond to my own message ;-)

      After writing to Bradford (Mr Unix) Barrett, the creator of the
      Webalizer, I recieved the following response:

      -- Notice --

      Older versions of the Webalizer (Ver 1.30 thru 2.00-12) generated
      timestamps in a fashion that, on most platforms, would overflow on
      October 5, 2001. The result is that statistics are generated up
      until midnight of October 4th, but not after. This problem does not
      exist in the current release (V2.01) of the Webalizer, which has been
      available for over a year now. If you cannot upgrade or wish to
      continue using the older version, there is a patch on our ftp site
      that will extend the usable date range for three more years, however
      will prevent logs before 1993 from being processed. It can be found
      at:

      ftp://ftp.mrunix.net/pub/webalizer/pre-release/v130-epoch.patch

      I hope this is of some help to the others who have had the same
      problem as myself.

      Cheers,

      Carey

      --- In webalizer@y..., careybunks@y... wrote:
      > Dear Webalizer Enthusiasts,
      >
      > I've been using webalizer for about 18 months on my site
      > gimp-savvy.com without a single problem. Using a cron job I do a
      log
      > rotate every day at midnight and run webalizer in incremental mode
      > using the command:
      >
      > webalizer -Q -C 100 -p -l 9 access_log_url
      >
      > However, suddenly, two days ago, the stats on my site ceased to be
      > updated (see http://gimp-savvy.com/STATS). I assembled the
      necessary
      > files to run a test with debugging turned on, and the output is:
      >
      > Webalizer V1.30-04 (Linux 2.2.12-20) English
      > Using logfile /home/cbunks/TEST/access
      > Creating output in /home/cbunks/TEST/STATS/
      > Hostname for reports is 'etoile'
      > Reading history file... webalizer.hist
      > Reading previous run data.. webalizer.current
      > 209048 records (209048 ignored) in 21.80 seconds, 9589/sec
      >
      > With all the records ignored, I suspected a problem with the time
      > stamp, so I looked in the webalizer.current file, and the top two
      > lines of this file contain:
      >
      > # Webalizer V1.30-04 Incremental Data - 10/04/2001 23:58:50
      > 2001 10 4 23 58 50
      >
      > This (2001 10 4 23 58 50) looks like the time stamp to me, so I also
      > look in the first access_log that no longer is analyzed, and the
      first
      > line of the file is:
      >
      > 216.16.23.88 - - [05/Oct/2001:00:00:27 -0400] "GET /BOOK/node41.html
      > HTTP/1.1" 200 8656 "http://gimp-
      savvy.com/BOOK/Grokking_the_GIMP.html"