Problem with Incremental Update

  • careybunks@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2001
      Dear Webalizer Enthusiasts,

      I've been using webalizer for about 18 months on my site
      gimp-savvy.com without a single problem. Using a cron job I do a log
      rotate every day at midnight and run webalizer in incremental mode
      using the command:

      webalizer -Q -C 100 -p -l 9 access_log_url

      However, suddenly, two days ago, the stats on my site ceased to be
      updated (see http://gimp-savvy.com/STATS). I assembled the necessary
      files to run a test with debugging turned on, and the output is:

      Webalizer V1.30-04 (Linux 2.2.12-20) English
      Using logfile /home/cbunks/TEST/access
      Creating output in /home/cbunks/TEST/STATS/
      Hostname for reports is 'etoile'
      Reading history file... webalizer.hist
      Reading previous run data.. webalizer.current
      209048 records (209048 ignored) in 21.80 seconds, 9589/sec

      With all the records ignored, I suspected a problem with the time
      stamp, so I looked in the webalizer.current file, and the top two
      lines of this file contain:

      # Webalizer V1.30-04 Incremental Data - 10/04/2001 23:58:50
      2001 10 4 23 58 50

      This (2001 10 4 23 58 50) looks like the time stamp to me, so I also
      look in the first access_log that no longer is analyzed, and the first
      line of the file is:

      216.16.23.88 - - [05/Oct/2001:00:00:27 -0400] "GET /BOOK/node41.html
      HTTP/1.1" 200 8656 "http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/Grokking_the_GIMP.html"
      "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows 98)"

      all the others lines have later dates, so the time stamp problem
      hypothesis seems false. I've diddled around with a few other
      possibilities, but I haven't found the solution to my problem. Can
      anyone suggest a test or tell me what I'm doing wrong?

      Anyone suggestions would be welcome.

      Cheers,

      Carey Bunks

      =============================
      Carey Bunks
      author of "Grokking the GIMP"
      maintainer of Gimp-Savvy.com
      email: careybunks@...
      =============================
    • careybunks@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 8, 2001
        Okay, cool, I get to respond to my own message ;-)

        After writing to Bradford (Mr Unix) Barrett, the creator of the
        Webalizer, I recieved the following response:

        -- Notice --

        Older versions of the Webalizer (Ver 1.30 thru 2.00-12) generated
        timestamps in a fashion that, on most platforms, would overflow on
        October 5, 2001. The result is that statistics are generated up
        until midnight of October 4th, but not after. This problem does not
        exist in the current release (V2.01) of the Webalizer, which has been
        available for over a year now. If you cannot upgrade or wish to
        continue using the older version, there is a patch on our ftp site
        that will extend the usable date range for three more years, however
        will prevent logs before 1993 from being processed. It can be found
        at:

        ftp://ftp.mrunix.net/pub/webalizer/pre-release/v130-epoch.patch

        I hope this is of some help to the others who have had the same
        problem as myself.

        Cheers,

        Carey