Problem using stdin on Solaris 8

  • mike.s.parker@alcatel.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2001
      I cannot get Webalizer to process a log via stdin. I'm using a log
      that works fine if it is given as a filename, but it does not work if
      read from stdin.

      Here's what I get when given as a file:

      # /usr/local/bin/webalizer ShortTest.log
      Webalizer V2.01-06 (SunOS 5.8) English
      Using logfile ShortTest.log (clf)
      DNS Lookup (30): 10 addresses in 0.13 seconds
      Using DNS cache file dns_cache.db
      Creating output in current directory
      Hostname for reports is 'www.ourdomain.com'
      Reading history file... webalizer.hist
      Generating report for September 2001
      Generating summary report
      Saving history information...
      1000 records in 0.24 seconds

      Here's what happens when using stdin:

      # /usr/local/bin/webalizer < ShortTest.log
      Webalizer V2.01-06 (SunOS 5.8) English
      Using logfile STDIN (clf)
      DNS Lookup (30): 10 addresses in 0.13 seconds

      Here is the config:

      # grep -v "^#" webalizer.conf | grep -v "^$"
      ReportTitle Test of using stdin for /reponse on
      HostName www.ourdomain.com
      PageType htm*
      PageType cgi
      PageType pl
      DNSCache dns_cache.db
      DNSChildren 30
      AllSites yes
      AllURLs yes
      HideURL *.gif
      HideURL *.GIF
      HideURL *.jpg
      HideURL *.JPG
      HideURL *.png
      HideURL *.PNG
      HideURL *.ra
      IgnoreURL /cgi-bin/service/lexicat/lexifind/show*
      SearchEngine yahoo.com p=
      SearchEngine altavista.com q=
      SearchEngine google.com q=
      SearchEngine eureka.com q=
      SearchEngine lycos.com query=
      SearchEngine hotbot.com MT=
      SearchEngine msn.com MT=
      SearchEngine infoseek.com qt=
      SearchEngine webcrawler searchText=
      SearchEngine excite search=
      SearchEngine netscape.com search=
      SearchEngine mamma.com query=
      SearchEngine alltheweb.com query=
      SearchEngine northernlight.com qr=

      Thanks for your help,
      Mike
    • Klaus Mueller
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2001
        > # /usr/local/bin/webalizer < ShortTest.log
        > Webalizer V2.01-06 (SunOS 5.8) English
        > Using logfile STDIN (clf)
        > DNS Lookup (30): 10 addresses in 0.13 seconds

        1. Can you try:
        cat ShortTest.log| /usr/local/bin/webalizer -

        I have no unix box to test this.

        2. What happens if you disable the DNS cache?
        Reason: The webalizer parses the log file two times if DNS lookup is
        enabled. Webalizer calls itself as webazolver (?) and use pipes to process
        the DNS lookup. The log creation is a second step. The second step my fail
        if running from command line because the input pipe is readed but no log
        entries for further processing exists. This is an assumption only.

        Bye
        Klaus
      • miparke@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2001
          Klaus,

          I had tried your first suggestion before, and it failed in exactly the
          same way; however, your second suggestion did the trick.

          I commented out DNSCache and DNSChildren, and stdin worked perfectly.
          So, I'll make two passes in my script. One will be as Webazolver to
          build the cache file, and a second to create the report.

          Thanks very much for your quick response.

          Regards,
          Mike

          --- In webalizer@y..., Klaus Mueller <k.mueller@i...> wrote:
          > > # /usr/local/bin/webalizer < ShortTest.log
          > > Webalizer V2.01-06 (SunOS 5.8) English
          > > Using logfile STDIN (clf)
          > > DNS Lookup (30): 10 addresses in 0.13 seconds
          >
          > 1. Can you try:
          > cat ShortTest.log| /usr/local/bin/webalizer -
          >
          > I have no unix box to test this.
          >
          > 2. What happens if you disable the DNS cache?
          > Reason: The webalizer parses the log file two times if DNS lookup is
          > enabled. Webalizer calls itself as webazolver (?) and use pipes to
          process
          > the DNS lookup. The log creation is a second step. The second step
          my fail
          > if running from command line because the input pipe is readed but no
          log
          > entries for further processing exists. This is an assumption only.
          >
          > Bye
          > Klaus
        • Klaus Mueller
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2001