Re: wrong calculation of visits and sites stats??

  • stefos@multimedia-sa.gr
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 4, 2001
      The previous email should state the opposite about vistis and sites...
      the correct is

      The number of visits should be always larger (or at least equal) than
      the number of sites...

      But what actually happens is that most of the times the number of
      sites is larger than the visits.........

      problem remains

      Stefanos

      --- In webalizer@y..., stefos@m... wrote:
      > Yes, you are right that sites are not the same as visits, but that's
      > exactly my point.....
      > The number of sites should be always larger (or at least equal) than
      > the number of visits, because webalizer distinguishes the visits only
      > by the ip number (it doesn't look for proxies, forwarded header etc...).
      >
      > But what actually happens is that most of the times the number of
      > visits is larger thatn the sites. This did not happen with earlier
      > versions of webalizer and started to happen some point after the 2.0
      > initial release.
      >
      > And again, why is the link to the win32 port removed from
      webalizer.org??

      > Stefanos
      >
      > --- In webalizer@y..., Klaus Mueller <k.mueller@i...> wrote:
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I think visits are not the same as sites. Sites are identified by
      IP or
      > > hostname. Visits are requests and subsequent requests. A new visit is
      > > counted if the last visit was X minutes before.
      > >
      > > And the request of images only (e.g. throug a link) are not counted
      > as visit
      > > but as site. Please check webalizer.org and ask Bradford, the
      author of
      > > webalizer.
      > >
      > > Klaus

    • Klaus Mueller
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 4, 2001
        Ask Bradford for the algorithm please. I do not know the exact behavior.

        Klaus
      • javi@interbook.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 15, 2001
          --- In webalizer@y..., Klaus Mueller <k.mueller@i...> wrote:
          > Ask Bradford for the algorithm please. I do not know the exact
          behavior.

          > Klaus

          I have checked that the beaviour is arround hits and pages. Visits
          count pages instead of hist.
          You can resolve it adding in webalizer.conf
          PageType *

          Any idea to solve it without lose the page count?
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 15, 2001
            > I have checked that the beaviour is arround hits and pages. Visits
            > count pages instead of hist.

            Ummm, no.. Visits count visits, and are triggered by pages. This is to
            reduce 'false visits'.. For example, if you host your own pictures on
            e-bay with links pointing to your images.. a visitor surfing e-bay will
            see your pictures, but probably doesn't even know your site exists..
            They just see pictures. Those requests WILL NOT be counted as a visit,
            since it really isn't.. it a visit to e-bay, not your site. If on the
            other hand, someone requests a URL that is of a PageType, chances are
            that they are really visiting your site.

            > You can resolve it adding in webalizer.conf
            > PageType *

            That is completely wrong, and will cause every single URL on your site to
            be counted as a page.

            Any GUI that doesn't allow full customization - or does not
            allow you to make it operate and look like any other GUI...
            should be considerd broken. Jim Gettys, X-windows co-author
          • ARADHANAK
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 12, 2001
              I joined the group just to investigate what Stefanos points out--but
              I don't see the answer in the thread.

              Why do daily sites show higher than visits, every day, yet monthly
              sites totals lower than visits?

              Aradhana Singh

            • chiugaating <chiugaating@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 24 10:51 AM
                Does anybody know how to fix this problem? ~Chiu