RE: [webalizer] wrong calculation of visits and sites stats??

  • Klaus Mueller
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 4, 2001
      Hi,

      I think visits are not the same as sites. Sites are identified by IP or
      hostname. Visits are requests and subsequent requests. A new visit is
      counted if the last visit was X minutes before.

      And the request of images only (e.g. throug a link) are not counted as visit
      but as site. Please check webalizer.org and ask Bradford, the author of
      webalizer.

      Klaus

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • stefos@multimedia-sa.gr
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 4, 2001
        Yes, you are right that sites are not the same as visits, but that's
        exactly my point.....
        The number of sites should be always larger (or at least equal) than
        the number of visits, because webalizer distinguishes the visits only
        by the ip number (it doesn't look for proxies, forwarded header etc...).

        But what actually happens is that most of the times the number of
        visits is larger thatn the sites. This did not happen with earlier
        versions of webalizer and started to happen some point after the 2.0
        initial release.

        And again, why is the link to the win32 port removed from webalizer.org??

        Stefanos

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 4, 2001
          The previous email should state the opposite about vistis and sites...
          the correct is

          The number of visits should be always larger (or at least equal) than
          the number of sites...

          But what actually happens is that most of the times the number of
          sites is larger than the visits.........

          problem remains

          Stefanos

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 4, 2001
            Ask Bradford for the algorithm please. I do not know the exact behavior.

            Klaus
          • javi@interbook.net
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 15, 2001
              --- In webalizer@y..., Klaus Mueller <k.mueller@i...> wrote:
              > Ask Bradford for the algorithm please. I do not know the exact
              behavior.

              > Klaus

              I have checked that the beaviour is arround hits and pages. Visits
              count pages instead of hist.
              You can resolve it adding in webalizer.conf
              PageType *

              Any idea to solve it without lose the page count?
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 15, 2001
                > I have checked that the beaviour is arround hits and pages. Visits
                > count pages instead of hist.

                Ummm, no.. Visits count visits, and are triggered by pages. This is to
                reduce 'false visits'.. For example, if you host your own pictures on
                e-bay with links pointing to your images.. a visitor surfing e-bay will
                see your pictures, but probably doesn't even know your site exists..
                They just see pictures. Those requests WILL NOT be counted as a visit,
                since it really isn't.. it a visit to e-bay, not your site. If on the
                other hand, someone requests a URL that is of a PageType, chances are
                that they are really visiting your site.

                > You can resolve it adding in webalizer.conf
                > PageType *

                That is completely wrong, and will cause every single URL on your site to
                be counted as a page.

                Any GUI that doesn't allow full customization - or does not
                allow you to make it operate and look like any other GUI...
                should be considerd broken. Jim Gettys, X-windows co-author
              • ARADHANAK
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 12, 2001
                  I joined the group just to investigate what Stefanos points out--but
                  I don't see the answer in the thread.

                  Why do daily sites show higher than visits, every day, yet monthly
                  sites totals lower than visits?

                  Aradhana Singh

                • chiugaating <chiugaating@yahoo.com>
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 24, 2003
                    Does anybody know how to fix this problem? ~Chiu