Re: [webalizer] Reverse DNS timeout

  • gorizia1
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4, 2001
      > I'm running Webalizer on win2k. When I'm updating the stats, I notice
      > webalizer being idle for about 80-90% of the time, appearantly because of
      > the reverse DNS lookups. I've setup 20 treads for reverse DNS, but I saw

      Also I use Webalizer on Win2K srv.
      For example it takes about 30 minutes to process about 62000 records (from
      start to end of webalizer, during the first hours of each day).
      How do you evaluate the idle time of webalizer ? Checking the hard disk
      activity ? The Task Manager Processes ?

      Regards,
      Andrea Cecotti
    • Nick Heinemans
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4, 2001
        Hi,

        The reason why I believe Webalizer is idle on the reverse DNS is because it 'flies' over the logfiles, but pauses after each file (for quite a while) before continuing with the next file. I haven't checked diskactivity, but processor load is down to zero when Webalizer idles.

        I'll try to give some more info about number of records and times later today.

        Nick
        > I'm running Webalizer on win2k. When I'm updating the stats, I notice
        > webalizer being idle for about 80-90% of the time, appearantly because of
        > the reverse DNS lookups. I've setup 20 treads for reverse DNS, but I saw

        Also I use Webalizer on Win2K srv.
        For example it takes about 30 minutes to process about 62000 records (from
        start to end of webalizer, during the first hours of each day).
        How do you evaluate the idle time of webalizer ? Checking the hard disk
        activity ? The Task Manager Processes ?

        Regards,
        Andrea Cecotti

      • Carsten Gehling
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4, 2001
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4, 2001
            > Well since Linux now supports multi-threading, maybe it is
            > time to change
            > the original implementation to threading?

            Hi,

            webalizer runs on a big number of different operation systems (Linux, Win,
            Solaris, MacOS X, OS2, Cobal Qube ???, BeOS, OpenVMS, Netware). It would not
            be easy to create one design and implementation matching all different OS
            requirements/limitations.

            I'll suggest Bradford my create a outline of the planed future requirements
            and enhancements to get a view about the future of webalizer. (Please do not
            hit me for this sentence.)

            I hope some of the current windows changes go back to the main webalizer
            development and we get one source base for all operation systems.

            Klaus