Reverse DNS timeout

  • Nick Heinemans
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2001

      I'm running Webalizer on win2k. When I'm updating the stats, I notice
      webalizer being idle for about 80-90% of the time, appearantly because of
      the reverse DNS lookups. I've setup 20 treads for reverse DNS, but I saw
      someone write in this forum that this only affects the UNIX version of
      Webalizer. I guess the excessive idle time is caused by the DNS timeout,
      causing the program to wait for the DNS server for to long. Does anybody
      know how long this timeout is, and how to decrease it?

      Thanks in advance,

      Nick
    • Klaus Mueller
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2001
        > I'm running Webalizer on win2k. When I'm updating the stats, I notice
        > webalizer being idle for about 80-90% of the time,
        > appearantly because of
        > the reverse DNS lookups. I've setup 20 treads for reverse
        > DNS, but I saw
        > someone write in this forum that this only affects the UNIX version of
        > Webalizer. I guess the excessive idle time is caused by the
        > DNS timeout,
        > causing the program to wait for the DNS server for to long.
        > Does anybody
        > know how long this timeout is, and how to decrease it?

        The unix version forks the defined number of sub processes to do parallel
        DNS lookups. This does not work with windows. An extra implementation with
        threads was to complex.
        The DNS timeout is defined by the operation system functions. I do not think
        you can speed up the lookup.

        Klaus
      • gorizia1
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4, 2001
          > I'm running Webalizer on win2k. When I'm updating the stats, I notice
          > webalizer being idle for about 80-90% of the time, appearantly because of
          > the reverse DNS lookups. I've setup 20 treads for reverse DNS, but I saw

          Also I use Webalizer on Win2K srv.
          For example it takes about 30 minutes to process about 62000 records (from
          start to end of webalizer, during the first hours of each day).
          How do you evaluate the idle time of webalizer ? Checking the hard disk
          activity ? The Task Manager Processes ?

          Regards,
          Andrea Cecotti
        • Nick Heinemans
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4, 2001

            The reason why I believe Webalizer is idle on the reverse DNS is because it 'flies' over the logfiles, but pauses after each file (for quite a while) before continuing with the next file. I haven't checked diskactivity, but processor load is down to zero when Webalizer idles.

            I'll try to give some more info about number of records and times later today.

            Nick
            > I'm running Webalizer on win2k. When I'm updating the stats, I notice
            > webalizer being idle for about 80-90% of the time, appearantly because of
            > the reverse DNS lookups. I've setup 20 treads for reverse DNS, but I saw

            Also I use Webalizer on Win2K srv.
            For example it takes about 30 minutes to process about 62000 records (from
            start to end of webalizer, during the first hours of each day).
            How do you evaluate the idle time of webalizer ? Checking the hard disk
            activity ? The Task Manager Processes ?

            Regards,
            Andrea Cecotti

          • Carsten Gehling
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 4, 2001
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 4, 2001
                > Well since Linux now supports multi-threading, maybe it is
                > time to change
                > the original implementation to threading?

                Hi,

                webalizer runs on a big number of different operation systems (Linux, Win,
                Solaris, MacOS X, OS2, Cobal Qube ???, BeOS, OpenVMS, Netware). It would not
                be easy to create one design and implementation matching all different OS
                requirements/limitations.

                I'll suggest Bradford my create a outline of the planed future requirements
                and enhancements to get a view about the future of webalizer. (Please do not
                hit me for this sentence.)

                I hope some of the current windows changes go back to the main webalizer
                development and we get one source base for all operation systems.

                Klaus