wrong calculation of visits and sites stats??

  • Stefanos Karasavvidis
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 23, 2001
      I'm using version 2.01 for windows from
      http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/ under apache web server, and
      under linux+apache

      The problem I'm going to describe seems to be present since version 2.0
      was released and has to do with the calculation of visits and sites.

      What I noticed beginning with version 2.0 is that the daily statistics
      graph and table shows often a larger number for sites than for visits
      which is intuitively wrong (one would expect that the number of sites is
      the upper limit for the number of visits, which get equal in the case
      where there is only one visit to the site from each ip address). A
      simple explanation whould be that the visits are actually the sites and
      the sites are actually the visits.

      The months summary numbers seem to be displayed correctly (much more
      visits than sites)

      I also calculated the sum of visits and sites for a specific month and
      compared it with what is displayed in the monthly summary. The result
      was the following

      Month summary as dislplayed by webalizer
      visits: 17955
      sites: 11837

      Sum as calculated from daily stats
      visits 18064
      sites 19721

      As a summary: the numbers for visits and sites in the daily stats seem
      to be wrong

      I have the same problem with several sites I'm running which all run
      apache (different machnes). The problem was not present when running the
      versions of webalizer prior to 2.0

      Any ideas ?

      Stefanos
    • gorizia1
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 4, 2001
        After having checked my logs, I have the same problem, but I don't know why.
        May be Jean-Noel HAYART or Klaus Mueller know something more ?
        :-)

        Regards,
        Andrea Cecotti

        > The problem I'm going to describe seems to be present since version 2.0
        > was released and has to do with the calculation of visits and sites.
        >
        > What I noticed beginning with version 2.0 is that the daily statistics
        > graph and table shows often a larger number for sites than for visits
        > which is intuitively wrong (one would expect that the number of sites is
        > the upper limit for the number of visits, which get equal in the case
        > where there is only one visit to the site from each ip address). A
        > simple explanation whould be that the visits are actually the sites and
        > the sites are actually the visits.
        >
        > The months summary numbers seem to be displayed correctly (much more
        > visits than sites)
        >
        > I also calculated the sum of visits and sites for a specific month and
        > compared it with what is displayed in the monthly summary. The result
        > was the following
        >
        > Month summary as dislplayed by webalizer
        > visits: 17955
        > sites: 11837
        >
        > Sum as calculated from daily stats
        > visits 18064
        > sites 19721
        >
        > As a summary: the numbers for visits and sites in the daily stats seem
        > to be wrong
        >
        > I have the same problem with several sites I'm running which all run
        > apache (different machnes). The problem was not present when running the
        > versions of webalizer prior to 2.0
        >
        > Any ideas ?
        >
        > Stefanos

      • Klaus Mueller
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 4, 2001

          I think visits are not the same as sites. Sites are identified by IP or
          hostname. Visits are requests and subsequent requests. A new visit is
          counted if the last visit was X minutes before.

          And the request of images only (e.g. throug a link) are not counted as visit
          but as site. Please check webalizer.org and ask Bradford, the author of
          webalizer.

          Klaus

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • stefos@multimedia-sa.gr
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 4, 2001
            Yes, you are right that sites are not the same as visits, but that's
            exactly my point.....
            The number of sites should be always larger (or at least equal) than
            the number of visits, because webalizer distinguishes the visits only
            by the ip number (it doesn't look for proxies, forwarded header etc...).

            But what actually happens is that most of the times the number of
            visits is larger thatn the sites. This did not happen with earlier
            versions of webalizer and started to happen some point after the 2.0
            initial release.

            And again, why is the link to the win32 port removed from webalizer.org??

            Stefanos

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 4, 2001
              The previous email should state the opposite about vistis and sites...
              the correct is

              The number of visits should be always larger (or at least equal) than
              the number of sites...

              But what actually happens is that most of the times the number of
              sites is larger than the visits.........

              problem remains

              Stefanos

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 4, 2001
                Ask Bradford for the algorithm please. I do not know the exact behavior.

                Klaus
              • javi@interbook.net
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 15, 2001
                  --- In webalizer@y..., Klaus Mueller <k.mueller@i...> wrote:
                  > Ask Bradford for the algorithm please. I do not know the exact
                  behavior.

                  > Klaus

                  I have checked that the beaviour is arround hits and pages. Visits
                  count pages instead of hist.
                  You can resolve it adding in webalizer.conf
                  PageType *

                  Any idea to solve it without lose the page count?
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 15, 2001
                    > I have checked that the beaviour is arround hits and pages. Visits
                    > count pages instead of hist.

                    Ummm, no.. Visits count visits, and are triggered by pages. This is to
                    reduce 'false visits'.. For example, if you host your own pictures on
                    e-bay with links pointing to your images.. a visitor surfing e-bay will
                    see your pictures, but probably doesn't even know your site exists..
                    They just see pictures. Those requests WILL NOT be counted as a visit,
                    since it really isn't.. it a visit to e-bay, not your site. If on the
                    other hand, someone requests a URL that is of a PageType, chances are
                    that they are really visiting your site.

                    > You can resolve it adding in webalizer.conf
                    > PageType *

                    That is completely wrong, and will cause every single URL on your site to
                    be counted as a page.

                    Any GUI that doesn't allow full customization - or does not
                    allow you to make it operate and look like any other GUI...
                    should be considerd broken. Jim Gettys, X-windows co-author
                  • ARADHANAK
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 12, 2001
                      I joined the group just to investigate what Stefanos points out--but
                      I don't see the answer in the thread.

                      Why do daily sites show higher than visits, every day, yet monthly
                      sites totals lower than visits?

                      Aradhana Singh

                    • chiugaating <chiugaating@yahoo.com>
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 24, 2003
                        Does anybody know how to fix this problem? ~Chiu