Re: [webalizer] Cron Job for cleaning log files

  • juaid
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 8 6:05 AM
      If you use logrotate, it does this for you automatically, rotating the logs
      the times you specify..
      I'm not sure what the default is, if it is to rotate them every one week, or
      what (check man logrotate), but you can specify it adding a "daily",
      "weelky" or "monthly" statement...

      Teher's also a postrotate statement that makes a kill -HUP for the server to
      read the new log files and not to continue pointing to the handlers of the
      old ones..

      you can also tell logrotate, how many times you want to rotate the logs by
      adding a line for example "rotate 4" which makes it to rotate the logs 4
      times, so after rotating you'll see that you have the acces_log file, and
      access_log.1, access_log,2, etc

      you should have for exapmle a file called /etc/logrotate.d/apache
      with the following:

      /var/log/httpd/access_log {
      missingok
      postrotate
      /bin/kill -HUP `cat /var/run/httpd.pid 2>/dev/null` 2> /dev/null ||
      true
      endscript
      }

      /var/log/httpd/agent_log {
      missingok
      postrotate
      /bin/kill -HUP `cat /var/run/httpd.pid 2>/dev/null` 2> /dev/null ||
      true
      endscript
      }

      /var/log/httpd/error_log {
      missingok
      postrotate
      /bin/kill -HUP `cat /var/run/httpd.pid 2>/dev/null` 2> /dev/null ||
      true
      endscript
      }

      /var/log/httpd/referer_log {
      missingok
      postrotate
      /bin/kill -HUP `cat /var/run/httpd.pid 2>/dev/null` 2> /dev/null ||
      true
      endscript
      }

      cheers