RE: Webalizer not resolving IP addresses into host names in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

  • dsm_kbl
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 15, 2013

      I also get the latest GeoDb.dat file from http://dev.maxmind.com/geoip/legacy/geolite/ and place it in /usr/share/GeoIP folder and use this file to generate reports. While generating reports it still shows IP addresses in the Hostname column under Top 30 of 3678 Total Sites and Top 10 of 3678 Total Sites By kB F.

      How can i get domain names here?

      --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, <dsm_kbl@...> wrote:

      I am using webalizer to generate statistics for my website.
      I concatenate all the log files and make make a single big file.

      I try the following command in terminal -

      webalizer -N 5 -D db_cache.db access.log

      It asks me for -

      DNS Lookup (5):

      What should i give here?
    • thewebalizer
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2014
        That is not a prompt.. it is an information message letting you know that 5 DNS child processes are running.  Once finished, it will then print out some timing totals and continue on as usual.  Just be patient.. depending on the number of unique IP addresses you have in your log, it may take a long time to resolve them all.  Best practice for small/medium sites is to enable DNS lookups on your web server so they get resolved in the logs at runtime.  Contrary to popular belief, letting your web server do the lookups does not really impact the server unless yours is very, very busy.

        Cheers

        PS: The GeoDB database (and Maxminds GeoIP database) DO NOT resolve IP addresses, they only allow geolocation (country of origin) lookups based on the IP address.