Old logs won't process

  • emailgrant123
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 2, 2012
      I hadn't run webalizer for about a week and I stupidly starting processing the old logs from newest to oldest until I noticed that after the first log they were each being processed as if they contained 100% duplicate entries. Does webalizer refuse to process logs older than its newest entry? If so, is there any way I can process the old logs?
    • waldo kitty
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 2, 2012
        On 2/2/2012 19:54, emailgrant123 wrote:
        > I hadn't run webalizer for about a week and I stupidly starting processing the old logs from newest to oldest until I noticed that after the first log they were each being processed as if they contained 100% duplicate entries. Does webalizer refuse to process logs older than its newest entry? If so, is there any way I can process the old logs?

        yes... process them oldest to newest ;)

        seriously, though...
      • emailgrant123
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 5, 2012
          > > I hadn't run webalizer for about a week and I stupidly starting processing the old logs from newest to oldest until I noticed that after the first log they were each being processed as if they contained 100% duplicate entries. Does webalizer refuse to process logs older than its newest entry? If so, is there any way I can process the old logs?
          >
          > yes... process them oldest to newest ;)

          How can I do that now that I've messed up and processed a newer one? Can I delete its records somehow so I can start over going from oldest to newest?
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 5, 2012
            Remove the incremental data file (webalizer.current unless renamed to
            something else). Be careful, as this will remove any data processed
            for the current month. DO NOT remove webalizer.hist, as that contains
            totals for _previous_ months. After that, you can (and will need to)
            re-process your logs fron the beginning of the current month.

            And yes, when using incremental mode, you MUST process logs in
            chronological order.

            Cheers,
            Brad

            --

            >> yes... process them oldest to newest ;)
            >
            > How can I do that now that I've messed up and processed a newer one?
            > Can I delete its records somehow so I can start over going from oldest
            > to newest?
          • emailgrant123
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 6, 2012
              > Remove the incremental data file (webalizer.current unless renamed to
              > something else). Be careful, as this will remove any data processed
              > for the current month. DO NOT remove webalizer.hist, as that contains
              > totals for _previous_ months. After that, you can (and will need to)
              > re-process your logs fron the beginning of the current month.
              >
              > And yes, when using incremental mode, you MUST process logs in
              > chronological order.

              That sounds like it would work for February, but I'm missing January 24-30. The system has processed January 31 - February 5 in the meantime. Can I remove everything after January 30?

              I'm curious what other modes there are besides incremental mode?

              - Grant
            • emailgrant123
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 9, 2012
                > > Remove the incremental data file (webalizer.current unless renamed to
                > > something else). Be careful, as this will remove any data processed
                > > for the current month. DO NOT remove webalizer.hist, as that contains
                > > totals for _previous_ months. After that, you can (and will need to)
                > > re-process your logs fron the beginning of the current month.
                > >
                > > And yes, when using incremental mode, you MUST process logs in
                > > chronological order.
                >
                > That sounds like it would work for February, but I'm missing January 24-30. The system has processed January 31 - February 5 in the meantime. Can I remove everything after January 30?

                Can anyone help me out here? Is there anything I can do at this point to fill in the missing data? I have the logs.

                - Grant
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 9, 2012
                  > That sounds like it would work for February, but I'm missing January
                  > 24-30. The system has processed January 31 - February 5 in the
                  > meantime. Can I remove everything after January 30?
                  >
                  > Can anyone help me out here? Is there anything I can do at this point
                  > to fill in the missing data? I have the logs.

                  Just start processing your logs from January 1st instead of February 1st
                  after removing the incremental data file.

                  Cheers,
                  Brad
                • emailgrant123
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 10, 2012
                    > > That sounds like it would work for February, but I'm missing January
                    > > 24-30. The system has processed January 31 - February 5 in the
                    > > meantime. Can I remove everything after January 30?
                    > >
                    > > Can anyone help me out here? Is there anything I can do at this point
                    > > to fill in the missing data? I have the logs.
                    >
                    > Just start processing your logs from January 1st instead of February 1st
                    > after removing the incremental data file.

                    I'm sorry to say I only have the logs going back to January 5th. Is there any way to process the logs I have for January 24-30 without removing all data from January?
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 10, 2012
                      > I'm sorry to say I only have the logs going back to January 5th. Is
                      > there any way to process the logs I have for January 24-30 without
                      > removing all data from January?

                      Then I guess you are pretty much SOL. You could _possibly_ get it to
                      work by hand editing the incremental data file, but that is not for
                      the faint of heart! That file contains the timestamp of what the
                      program 'thinks' was the last log entry processed. You would need
                      to change that timestamp to something prior to January 24th, process
                      your January 24-30th logs, then change the timestamp back to what it
                      was previously. This assumes that you have already processed January
                      31st. Whatever you do, make sure you backup your current stats just
                      in case (more likely than not) you hose them in the process :)

                      Cheers,
                      Brad
                    • emailgrant123
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 20, 2012
                        > > I'm sorry to say I only have the logs going back to January 5th. Is
                        > > there any way to process the logs I have for January 24-30 without
                        > > removing all data from January?
                        >
                        > Then I guess you are pretty much SOL. You could _possibly_ get it to
                        > work by hand editing the incremental data file, but that is not for
                        > the faint of heart! That file contains the timestamp of what the
                        > program 'thinks' was the last log entry processed. You would need
                        > to change that timestamp to something prior to January 24th, process
                        > your January 24-30th logs, then change the timestamp back to what it
                        > was previously. This assumes that you have already processed January
                        > 31st. Whatever you do, make sure you backup your current stats just
                        > in case (more likely than not) you hose them in the process :)
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        > Brad

                        I appreciate your help but that doesn't seem to work. The stats end up incorrect and a processing gap appears in a different spot.

                        Is the top portion of the incremental data file before "# -urls-" documented by any chance? I think if I could figure it out I could get this to work.

                        Or maybe a way to remove records matching a log file instead of adding them? Yeah right....

                        - Grant