Re: [webalizer] cannot open log file

  • waldo kitty
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 16, 2012
      On 1/16/2012 02:36, nicolasfranck.jl12 wrote:
      > Hi there,
      >
      > I'm using webalizer V2.21-02 (Linux 2.6.32-131.17.1.el6.x86_64 x86_64) English on a redhat-server, and trying to configure out why webalizer
      > is giving me this error message:
      >
      > 'cannot access log file /var/log/nginx/access.log'
      >
      > I checked the permissions on the file, and they are all fine. Webalizer was installed using a yum-repository.
      >
      > here a part of the configuration file (/etc/webalizer.conf):
      > [code]
      > LogFile /var/log/nginx/access.log
      > OutputDir /var/www/usage
      > [/code]
      > the permission on /var/www/usage are also fine ;-)
      > and this is wat 'strace webalizer' gives:

      at a guess, i'd say that you're trying to read a live log file... one that the
      server has open and locked for all access... it would be nice if it opened the
      log file for write and didn't deny read... at least this is what i recall from
      years past on my system when i fought a similar problem... i could only process
      historical (ie: non-live) logs at that time... i also wanted an easy logrotate
      capability... my OS doesn't/didn't have all the capabilites of other OS' so i
      use a logfile tool for my server to write my logs with... the tool closes the
      file after each write...

      if you don't have such a tool and you confirm this is the problem, then you'll
      only be able to process historical log (or maybe a copy if you can do that)...
    • nicolasfranck.jl12
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 17, 2012
        Thanks for your reply

        I already tried that. I copied the logfile to my home folder,
        renamed it, and changed the configuration file to point
        to the custom logfile in my folder. But still the
        same error:
        'cannot access log file /home/njfrank/test.log'

        on my ubuntu webalizer of the same version works fine.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 18, 2012
          On 1/18/2012 02:35, nicolasfranck.jl12 wrote:
          > Thanks for your reply
          >
          > I already tried that. I copied the logfile to my home folder,
          > renamed it, and changed the configuration file to point
          > to the custom logfile in my folder. But still the
          > same error:
          > 'cannot access log file /home/njfrank/test.log'
          >
          > on my ubuntu webalizer of the same version works fine.

          the only other thing i can think of, at this time, is possibly permissions...
          what are the permissions on the file? what user and group is webalizer running
          as? is the webalizer user a member of a group that has access to that file?