Re: IQ web server non-standard W3C log

  • mbemg
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2012
      So I wrote a PHP script to copy the Log file to another file, modifying the 'time' field in each record, and that works OK,
      but I still get all records flagged as "skipping bad record", and "no valid records found!".

      From the documentation at Awstats it says the fields in W3C format are:

      date
      time
      c-ip
      cs-username
      cs-method
      cs-uri-stem
      cs-uri-query
      sc-status
      sc-bytes
      cs-version
      cs(User-Agent)
      cs(Referer)

      and I have those checked, but there other fields I could have checked for inclusion,
      so the question now becomes:
      what fields does Webalizer think are in W3C log format ?
      I can't find this specified anywhere in the Webalizer documentation.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2012
        >> From the documentation at Awstats it says the fields in W3C format are:
        [...]
        > and I have those checked, but there other fields I could have checked
        > for inclusion, so the question now becomes:
        > what fields does Webalizer think are in W3C log format ?
        > I can't find this specified anywhere in the Webalizer documentation.

        Check: http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-logfile.html

        For a complete description of the W3C log format. Also, note that
        the time field is defined as:

        The time must have at least the 2 digit hour and minute, in 24
        hour format, and specified in GMT.

        As for what fields the Webalizer 'thinks' are in the log, that would
        be defined in the log file itself; (see the "Format" section of
        the document referenced above).

        Cheers,
        Brad
      • Dave Kimble
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2012
          Thanks a lot for your reply.
          In the README file in the download package it says:
          "Blank lines and lines that begin with a pound sign ('#') are ignored. "   [line 708]
          so I thought the #Fields line wasn't parsed by Webalizer
          and didn't copy it forward in my PHP script.

          So I modified the script to include the # lines
          and fed the output to Webalizer - and it works !

          Amazing what a little bit of outside assistance can do.

          In case it helps anyone else I have put the script at http://www.peakoil.org.au/IQ.script.php.txt

          Dave