IQ web server non-standard W3C log

  • Dave Kimble
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2012
      I am running Fastream IQ Web Server on Win 7, which claims to output its
      log in W3C(extended).
      But it uses a 12-hour clock for its "time" field, so the format is one of:
      h:mm:ss AM
      hh:mm:ss AM
      h:mm:ss PM
      hh:mm:ss PM

      The space in there throws the whole thing out, resulting in all bad records.
      Is there any way to work around this ?

      Apart from this niggle, IQ is the best server as its separate
      administration GUI makes alterations a breeze.

      Dave
    • mbemg
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2012
        So I wrote a PHP script to copy the Log file to another file, modifying the 'time' field in each record, and that works OK,
        but I still get all records flagged as "skipping bad record", and "no valid records found!".

        From the documentation at Awstats it says the fields in W3C format are:

        date
        time
        c-ip
        cs-username
        cs-method
        cs-uri-stem
        cs-uri-query
        sc-status
        sc-bytes
        cs-version
        cs(User-Agent)
        cs(Referer)

        and I have those checked, but there other fields I could have checked for inclusion,
        so the question now becomes:
        what fields does Webalizer think are in W3C log format ?
        I can't find this specified anywhere in the Webalizer documentation.
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2012
          >> From the documentation at Awstats it says the fields in W3C format are:
          [...]
          > and I have those checked, but there other fields I could have checked
          > for inclusion, so the question now becomes:
          > what fields does Webalizer think are in W3C log format ?
          > I can't find this specified anywhere in the Webalizer documentation.

          Check: http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-logfile.html

          For a complete description of the W3C log format. Also, note that
          the time field is defined as:

          The time must have at least the 2 digit hour and minute, in 24
          hour format, and specified in GMT.

          As for what fields the Webalizer 'thinks' are in the log, that would
          be defined in the log file itself; (see the "Format" section of
          the document referenced above).

          Cheers,
          Brad
        • Dave Kimble
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2012
            Thanks a lot for your reply.
            In the README file in the download package it says:
            "Blank lines and lines that begin with a pound sign ('#') are ignored. "   [line 708]
            so I thought the #Fields line wasn't parsed by Webalizer
            and didn't copy it forward in my PHP script.

            So I modified the script to include the # lines
            and fed the output to Webalizer - and it works !

            Amazing what a little bit of outside assistance can do.

            In case it helps anyone else I have put the script at http://www.peakoil.org.au/IQ.script.php.txt

            Dave