Re: [webalizer] w3c logs and files

  • gorizia1
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 27 12:53 AM
      "http://www.bigwapsite.co.uk/freewap.htm" 500 624

      > But Webalizer (here are the parameters of my machine:)
      >
      > Webalizer V2.00-03 (Windows NT 5.0 Service Pack 1) English
      > Using logfile access_log (clf)
      > Creating output in current directory
      > Hostname for reports is 'MAX'
      > Reading history file... webalizer.hist
      > Generating report for April 2001
      > Generating summary report
      > Saving history information...
      > 11324 records (89 ignored) in 7.00 seconds, 1617/sec
      > says multiple times:
      > Warning: Truncating oversized referrer field
      >
      > I suppose that this problem can be fixed. Is it true?

      A friend of mine says that the problem could be in the quotation marks (")
      typical of CLF format.
      It would be better to set IIS to generate truly W3C log files, so you can
      have also the information about Referrer and User Agent.

      Bye,
      Andrea
    • Carsten Gehling
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 27 1:19 AM
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 27 3:16 AM
          Hello!

          Recently (27.04.2001 13:19) you wrote:
          >> And if I am using the third-party hosting?
          CG> Then you must ask your host to enable all options in the log. Problem is,
          CG> they are not all enabled by default installation, and your host has probably
          CG> not thought about it.
          Hm.. That sounds rather interesting. What exactly should I ask my hoster to turn
          on or modify?

          --
          Sincerely yours, Max Jury Krainov, WAP Shareware, Inc. CEO
          Software for WAP developers and users http://www.wap-shareware.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 27 6:05 AM
            > Did you set correctly the Extended Properties of W3C log format ?

            Here are the options i have set in W3c format:
            date
            time
            Client IP address
            User Nmae
            Method
            URI Stem
            URI Query
            Protocol Status
            Bytes Sent
            Bytss Received

            Is there anything else i need to set? Here is an example record from the
            file:

            2001-04-27 00:33:19 192.168.0.4 jeepguy [5]sent
            /mp3s/g+love/G.+Love+&+Special+Sauce+-+Kick+Drum.mp3 226 2844340 0

            Saunders

            > > Is there any way to get webalizer to read w3c log files and
            > read the files
            > > that people have downloaded/viewed?
            > > Right now, when i run webalizer on a w3c file, it doesnt output
            > any of the
            > > URL information, including total files, total unique URLS, or top urls?

          • Jean-Noel HAYART
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 27 7:54 AM
              hi all

              Actually webalizer can read only thoses fileds in log :

              "date", "time", "c-ip","cs-username", "cs-uri-stem",
              "sc-status","sc-bytes", "cs(User-Agent)", "cs(Referer)"

              thoses fields can produce complete report from original webalizer.

              but in default IIS4 or IIS5 don't have all this fields, you need select it.

              Regards

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 27 8:08 AM

                > > Did you set correctly the Extended Properties of W3C log format ?
                >

                > Here are the options i have set in W3c format:
                > date
                > time
                > Client IP address
                > User Nmae
                > Method
                > URI Stem
                > URI Query
                > Protocol Status
                > Bytes Sent
                > Bytss Received
                >
                > Is there anything else i need to set? Here is an example record from the
                > file:
                >
                > 2001-04-27 00:33:19 192.168.0.4 jeepguy [5]sent
                > /mp3s/g+love/G.+Love+&+Special+Sauce+-+Kick+Drum.mp3 226 2844340 0
                >
                > Saunders

                Well, it seems ok.
                But in my log files I have "GET" instead of "sent"...I don't know if this
                could prevent webalizer from generating correct analysis.
                If you process such log files you have to obtain analysis containing also
                the lists of most requested files.
                Tip: you may want to add the "User Agent" and "Referer" properties to enable
                the graph of types of web browsers and the references to webs that called
                your web site.

                Bye,
                Andrea