Re: [webalizer] webalizer hangs on "History file not found..." message

  • Ger Hobbelt
    Message 1 of 12 , May 17, 2010
      From the error message, I'd say it looks like webalizer directly or indirectly uses libgd as well (haven';t checked, this is off the cuff) and libgd is complaining. Given that you reported a webalizer source install, the way forward would be to check if libgd is required (most probably, as gd is often used for graphing) and when yes, gd must also be upgraded, alas.

      Ger Hobbelt

      web:    http://www.hobbelt.com/
             http://www.hebbut.net/
      mail:   ger@...
      mobile: +31-6-11 120 978

    • Sara Pipe
      Message 2 of 12 , May 17, 2010
        Dear all,

        I have Linux redhat server and I have installed source code of  webalizer-2.21-02 & libpng-1.2.18 on it.

        When I am trying to run webalizer it says:

        Generating report for March 2010
        gd-png: fatal libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library
         Segmentation fault

        I can not see why. It does not even say which version of libpng is it seeing in application and which one is it seeing in the library, they shouldbe both libpng-1.2.18.

        Does anyone know how to fix it?

        Thanks,
        Sara

      • Sara Pipe
        Message 3 of 12 , May 17, 2010
          Hi Ger,

          Thanks for your reply.

          Do you know which version of gd do I have to install? I have  webalizer-2.21-02 and libpng-1.2.18.

          Thank you,
          Sara

          Message 4 of 12 , May 17, 2010
            Dear Ger,

            I also upgraded gd again. But no luck. I have gd-2.0.35 and it is giving the same error.

            :(

            Message 5 of 12 , May 17, 2010
              Recompile the Webalizer against the new version of gd..

              --

              On Mon, 17 May 2010, Sara Pipe wrote:

              > Dear Ger,
              >
              > I also upgraded gd again. But no luck. I have gd-2.0.35 and it is giving the same error.
              >
              > :(

            • Ger Hobbelt
              Message 6 of 12 , May 17, 2010
                Sara,

                On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Bradford L. Barrett <brad@...> wrote:
                  Recompile the Webalizer against the new version of gd..

                +1 for above.

                One reminder to add here: check the configure script to see which libs are used by webalizer. You probably need to spec --with-gd=<path> and/or --with-png=<path> ./configure args for webalizer so that the configure script 'sees' the correct gd and png libs.

                ./configure --help
                dumps a list of all options, including those --with-xyz=<path> ones.

                When you spec --with-gd=, you generally don't need to spec --with-gd-lib and --with-gd-include as those are assumed to be <path>/lib and <path>/include, which is correct 99% of the time, particularly when those libs were built from source as well.

                The next bit of trouble then would be making sure the appropriate versions of the shared libs are where they're expected to be.
                See

                man ldd

                for ldd help about showing you which shared libs ( & their versions) are qreuired by your webalizer binary), plus

                man ldconfig

                for some info about making sure the OS 'knows' about those shared libs you just built and 'make install'ed.

                May seem like a lot the first time around, but since you've got trouble, you can either go the static lib route (webalaizer: ./configure --enable-static ) together with --with-gd/png/... or stick to shared libs, but juggling a bit to get the 'right' versions there. I'd opt to try the latter before falling back to the former.

                Ger Hobbelt

                web:    http://www.hobbelt.com/
                       http://www.hebbut.net/
                mail:   ger@...
                mobile: +31-6-11 120 978

              • Sara Pipe
                Message 7 of 12 , May 21, 2010
                  Thank you for your descriptive message Ger,

                  I tried: ./configure --enable-geoip --enable-bz2 --with-gd=/usr/lib/libdb-4.4.so --with-z=/usr/local/lib/libz.so.1

                  and it is complaining that:
                  checking for main in -lm... no
                  checking for main in -lz... no
                  configure: error: z library not found.. please install libz

                  I have zlib installed. I can not understand why. I even reinstalled zlib & it "sudo make install"ed successfully: chmod 644 /usr/local/include/zlib.h /usr/local/include/zconf.h

                  Could it be the original problem that:
                  When I was saying "make" to webalizer, it said:
                  In file included from /usr/local/include/zlib.h:34,
                                   from webalizer.c:44:
                  /usr/local/include/zconf.h:
                      373:6: error: token "=" is not valid in preprocessor expressions
                      make: *** [webalizer.o] Error 1

                  & so I looked into zconf.h and on that line it said:
                  "
                  /* a little trick to accommodate both "#define _LARGEFILE64_SOURCE" and
                   * "#define _LARGEFILE64_SOURCE 1" as requesting 64-bit operations, (even
                   * though the former does not conform to the LFS document), but considering
                   * both "#undef _LARGEFILE64_SOURCE" and "#define _LARGEFILE64_SOURCE 0" as
                   * equivalently requesting no 64-bit operations
                   */
                  #if -_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE - -1 == 1
                  #  undef _LARGEFILE64_SOURCE
                  #endif
                  "

                  I did not know what to do, so I commented the whole #if & #endif part out. Then the make ran fine, then I got to the gd version problem.

                  Do you understand what is going on?
                  Thanks,
                  Sara