webalizer hangs on "History file not found..." message

  • Sara Pipe
    Message 1 of 12 , May 16, 2010
      Hi guys

      I am running webalizer for the first time on the server and when I say "webalizer" and hit enter, it says
      "History file not found..." & then it does not do anything anymore.

      Do you know what I should do?

      Thank you,
      Sara

    • waldo kitty
      Message 2 of 12 , May 16, 2010
        On 5/16/2010 10:38, Sara Pipe wrote:
        > I am running webalizer for the first time on the server and when I say
        > "webalizer" and hit enter, it says
        > "History file not found..." & then it does not do anything anymore.
        >
        > Do you know what I should do?

        if you are only typing "webalizer" on the command line, it may not be looking at
        your conf or log files... have you customized your conf file for your server?
        what is the name of your conf file and where is it located?

        there should be man pages and possibly even the original README.FIRST and README
        files...
      • Sara Pipe
        Message 3 of 12 , May 16, 2010
          Hi Waldo,

          Yeah I added the logfile name in front and did
          Webalizer logfile.log

          so it ran & now it says:
          Generating report for March 2010
          gd-png:  fatal libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library
          Segmentation fault

          I had just installed the latest libpng....what could be wrong?

          Thank you again,
          Sara

          Message 4 of 12 , May 16, 2010
            On 5/16/2010 14:36, Sara Pipe wrote:
            > Yeah I added the logfile name in front and did
            > Webalizer logfile.log
            >
            > so it ran & now it says:
            > Generating report for March 2010
            > gd-png: fatal libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application
            > and library
            > Segmentation fault
            >
            > I had just installed the latest libpng....what could be wrong?

            your version of webalizer is not compiled against that version of libpng... is
            this a binary or a source installation?

            you might need to do a source install and recompile webalizer with the libs
            needed... this means that you may have to also install the compilation tools and
            libs... i haven't looked in the webalizer sources in years so i do not recall if
            there is/was a "top limit" on the versions of the libs...

            if this is a binary install, hopefully there are two flavors... one flavor being
            compiled dynamic so that the libs are picked up and the other flavor being
            static so your installed libs don't matter... static binaries will be larger
            since they compile all the libs into the binary... the major plus for this is
            that you don't have to futz around with the installed libs...

            what OS are you running on? how did you install webalizer?

            > Thank you again,
            > Sara

          • Sara Pipe
            Message 5 of 12 , May 16, 2010
              Hi Waldo,

              This is a webalizer source installation.

              & I am running Redhat on my system.

              I read http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/pngfaq.html and so I recompiled the libraries again. It gave the same error again :(

              Any clues?

              Thanks,

              Sara

              > Yeah I added the logfile name in front and did
              > Webalizer logfile.log
              >
              > so it ran & now it says:
              > Generating report for March 2010
              > gd-png: fatal libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application
              > and library
              > Segmentation fault
              >
              > I had just installed the latest libpng....what could be wrong?

              your version of webalizer is not compiled against that version of libpng... is
              this a binary or a source installation?

              you might need to do a source install and recompile webalizer with the libs
              needed... this means that you may have to also install the compilation tools and
              libs... i haven't looked in the webalizer sources in years so i do not recall if
              there is/was a "top limit" on the versions of the libs...

              if this is a binary install, hopefully there are two flavors... one flavor being
              compiled dynamic so that the libs are picked up and the other flavor being
              static so your installed libs don't matter... static binaries will be larger
              since they compile all the libs into the binary... the major plus for this is
              that you don't have to futz around with the installed libs...

              what OS are you running on? how did you install webalizer?

              > Thank you again,
              > Sara

            • Ger Hobbelt
              Message 6 of 12 , May 17, 2010
                From the error message, I'd say it looks like webalizer directly or indirectly uses libgd as well (haven';t checked, this is off the cuff) and libgd is complaining. Given that you reported a webalizer source install, the way forward would be to check if libgd is required (most probably, as gd is often used for graphing) and when yes, gd must also be upgraded, alas.

                Ger Hobbelt

                web:    http://www.hobbelt.com/
                       http://www.hebbut.net/
                mail:   ger@...
                mobile: +31-6-11 120 978

              • Sara Pipe
                Message 7 of 12 , May 17, 2010
                  Dear all,

                  I have Linux redhat server and I have installed source code of  webalizer-2.21-02 & libpng-1.2.18 on it.

                  When I am trying to run webalizer it says:

                  Generating report for March 2010
                  gd-png: fatal libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library
                   Segmentation fault

                  I can not see why. It does not even say which version of libpng is it seeing in application and which one is it seeing in the library, they shouldbe both libpng-1.2.18.

                  Does anyone know how to fix it?

                  Thanks,
                  Sara

                • Sara Pipe
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 17, 2010
                    Hi Ger,

                    Thanks for your reply.

                    Do you know which version of gd do I have to install? I have  webalizer-2.21-02 and libpng-1.2.18.

                    Thank you,
                    Sara

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 17, 2010
                      Dear Ger,

                      I also upgraded gd again. But no luck. I have gd-2.0.35 and it is giving the same error.

                      :(

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 17, 2010
                        Recompile the Webalizer against the new version of gd..

                        --

                        On Mon, 17 May 2010, Sara Pipe wrote:

                        > Dear Ger,
                        >
                        > I also upgraded gd again. But no luck. I have gd-2.0.35 and it is giving the same error.
                        >
                        > :(

                      • Ger Hobbelt
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 17, 2010
                          Sara,

                          On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Bradford L. Barrett <brad@...> wrote:
                            Recompile the Webalizer against the new version of gd..

                          +1 for above.

                          One reminder to add here: check the configure script to see which libs are used by webalizer. You probably need to spec --with-gd=<path> and/or --with-png=<path> ./configure args for webalizer so that the configure script 'sees' the correct gd and png libs.

                          ./configure --help
                          dumps a list of all options, including those --with-xyz=<path> ones.

                          When you spec --with-gd=, you generally don't need to spec --with-gd-lib and --with-gd-include as those are assumed to be <path>/lib and <path>/include, which is correct 99% of the time, particularly when those libs were built from source as well.

                          The next bit of trouble then would be making sure the appropriate versions of the shared libs are where they're expected to be.
                          See

                          man ldd

                          for ldd help about showing you which shared libs ( & their versions) are qreuired by your webalizer binary), plus

                          man ldconfig

                          for some info about making sure the OS 'knows' about those shared libs you just built and 'make install'ed.

                          May seem like a lot the first time around, but since you've got trouble, you can either go the static lib route (webalaizer: ./configure --enable-static ) together with --with-gd/png/... or stick to shared libs, but juggling a bit to get the 'right' versions there. I'd opt to try the latter before falling back to the former.

                          Ger Hobbelt

                          web:    http://www.hobbelt.com/
                                 http://www.hebbut.net/
                          mail:   ger@...
                          mobile: +31-6-11 120 978

                        • Sara Pipe
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 21, 2010
                            Thank you for your descriptive message Ger,

                            I tried: ./configure --enable-geoip --enable-bz2 --with-gd=/usr/lib/libdb-4.4.so --with-z=/usr/local/lib/libz.so.1

                            and it is complaining that:
                            checking for main in -lm... no
                            checking for main in -lz... no
                            configure: error: z library not found.. please install libz

                            I have zlib installed. I can not understand why. I even reinstalled zlib & it "sudo make install"ed successfully: chmod 644 /usr/local/include/zlib.h /usr/local/include/zconf.h

                            Could it be the original problem that:
                            When I was saying "make" to webalizer, it said:
                            In file included from /usr/local/include/zlib.h:34,
                                             from webalizer.c:44:
                            /usr/local/include/zconf.h:
                                373:6: error: token "=" is not valid in preprocessor expressions
                                make: *** [webalizer.o] Error 1

                            & so I looked into zconf.h and on that line it said:
                            "
                            /* a little trick to accommodate both "#define _LARGEFILE64_SOURCE" and
                             * "#define _LARGEFILE64_SOURCE 1" as requesting 64-bit operations, (even
                             * though the former does not conform to the LFS document), but considering
                             * both "#undef _LARGEFILE64_SOURCE" and "#define _LARGEFILE64_SOURCE 0" as
                             * equivalently requesting no 64-bit operations
                             */
                            #if -_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE - -1 == 1
                            #  undef _LARGEFILE64_SOURCE
                            #endif
                            "

                            I did not know what to do, so I commented the whole #if & #endif part out. Then the make ran fine, then I got to the gd version problem.

                            Do you understand what is going on?
                            Thanks,
                            Sara